Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

treading solid rod at end for diagonal braces

Posted by Guy 
hey folks,

Threaded rod costs a lot more that solid rod. The BOM for the Cartesian bot calls for 7612 mm of threaded rod, most of which is used in the diagonal braces, where the threading is only needed at the ends for adjustment. So, can one just get a $10 die and mild steel and thread the ends of the rods for the diagonal braces? Any problem I am not seeing with that? This is my first reprap. Does any one know what diameter rod you need to thread with M8 die?

thanks reprappers,

Guy
Re: treading solid rod at end for diagonal braces
July 27, 2009 03:40PM
You need 8mm diameter stock for an M8 thread.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 27, 2009 04:28PM
I did this in places because I ran out of threaded rod, but I found it took a lot of time and effort to cut the thread. In the end I just used a cordless drill with an adjustable clutch and a lot of oil, but unless the unthreaded rod is much cheaper its probably not worth it. Its also quite a bit of wear and tear on the tap, so factor that into the cost.
July 28, 2009 02:44PM
Can it be done? Yes.
Is it cheaper? That depends on the cost of your time.
It also depends on whether or not you can find an m8 die - they
are not common in the USA.
Most likely you will need to replace the die after you have used it
20 or so times.
If you chamfer the rod tip a bit with a file before you start, it will
be alot easier to get the die going and use lots of oil or tapping
fluid.
October 27, 2009 11:13AM
I'm building a Mendel using solid rod, which is available and cheap, but I've modified the construction to use a number of joining components I designed for a production item that I distribute. For example, the bottom corner connector reprapped brackets are replaced by four connectors each corner. I've produced lots of the joiners, combined with the rod they're almost a Meccano-style construction kit. The joiners are simple to make from a short length of 19mm square tube and a short length of 25mm round, plus a nut and bolt, if anyone's interested.
Attachments:
open | download - ortho fastenings.PNG (21.8 KB)
October 31, 2009 05:35AM
Those connectors look so cool grinning smiley Do you have a picture of real ones?
November 01, 2009 01:32AM
This one doesn't look so cool because I was beating it up at home and don't have the equipment and jigs that I've got at work. Works the same though.
Attachments:
open | download - connector1.JPG (28.8 KB)
open | download - connector2.JPG (33 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login