Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grind / Shred Bad Prints for Filament Extruder

Posted by rcullan 
Grind / Shred Bad Prints for Filament Extruder
July 04, 2014 03:04PM
I need some help from the community here!. I have been 3d printing now for about 1.5 years at this point and the box of bad prints has grown to a level where I need to cull the herd of ABS parts that I cant use. I am building a filament extruder and I will get it running / caliubrated using pellets but my main goal is recycling these bad prints into particles capable of being reclaimed into filament. I know there are several commercial options shredding or grinding old parts but there just has to be a cheaper method. I wanted to get some input before I go to far and start spending money on a dead end or deal with the wife after I've killed the family blender.

So in a nutshell, my question is what is the best way to mash, grind, slice, and dice bad ABS prints into a particle size that I can extrude it?

My initial thoughts have been a blender or food processor, but I dont think they have the muscle and seem to easily break. Or trying to find a broken paper shredder (or two) and re purpose the cutting wheels on these with a different drive method like a hi torque DC motor. Lastly, was trying to find a cheap wood chipper / mulcher, I know this would have the muscle but cuts rather large particles, I know further modifications would be needed.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input!
Re: Grind / Shred Bad Prints for Filament Extruder
July 04, 2014 04:04PM
July 04, 2014 04:42PM
Yes,
I have looked into this. However a blendtec blender is $400, i'm looking for a lower cost solution.
July 04, 2014 06:00PM
It's currently already being talked about. Right now there's no cheap solution, but you can help along the process of finding/creating one.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 05, 2014 07:24AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login