Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Differing shrink factor of ABS....

Posted by TheRuttmeister 
Differing shrink factor of ABS....
March 15, 2010 01:27PM
Until recently I have been printing with natural colour ABS from Makerbot.

I recently swaped to BfB white ABS...

It seems to have a higher extrusion temp, it also seems to shrink more. I am running on Hot Kapton and need a higher temp than before to get it to stick. Its hard to be sure if its just not sticking as well or if it really does have a higher shrink factor.

Has anyone else been able to compare the 2 supplys?
Re: Differing shrink factor of ABS....
March 15, 2010 03:37PM
Not those two, but I did notice in the past that coloured ABS does not bond to itself as well as natural does.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 15, 2010 04:24PM
I ran with natural ABS for a while and then attempted to use some black ABS I borrowed from someone else one day. The black ABS had different properties and I never tweaked my settings enough to get the same quality prints.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
March 23, 2010 12:54AM
Well the ABS story is that the ABS for extrusion is a specific formulation and if you attempt to use any new formulation of ABS you get into issues.
The things that make up the material are the additives that go into making a filament which includes the ABS - the deciding factor MFI and also stock supply.
The color part comes from a master batch which consists of color,additives to aid in flow, process ability and also surface characteristic improvements- meaning dull- matt- shiny etc.. Blending is also very much essential in the process that determines the kind of filament you get.

Accordingly some material extrude temperatures vary and flow characteristics varies.
The issue of colored ABS bonding to itself should not occur unless there is a temperature gradient which causes differential shrinkage rates.
It is bets to tailor a material to get optimum results..

JAGS
DESIGN FOR A CHANGE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login