Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which are the "best" polymer materials for extrusion?

Posted by goaran 
which are the "best" polymer materials for extrusion?
April 25, 2010 01:31PM
Is there a list of the polymer materials and the advantages/problems of those?
I often read PLA is best, but thats hard to find in germany. Which other materials are good to extrude and have low thermal shrinking values?
thanks in advance

my projects: [www.robotik.dyyyh.de] ...
Re: which are the "best" polymer materials for extrusion?
April 27, 2010 01:14PM
Based on my personal experience using a makerbot and a mendel:

- PLA is good because it doesn't warp
- PLA is bad because it requires finer tuning to extrude well (in my experience)

- ABS is good because it is easier to buy and easier to extrude well for small parts
- ABS is bad because it tends to warp catastrophically on large parts off the build platform unless you use a heated build platform (in which case it is just as nice as PLA and easier to print with!)

By the way that is a sweet quadrotor you've got - always wanted one myself but I haven't found the time so far - keep living the dream smiling smiley
April 27, 2010 06:04PM
- PLA is good because it doesn't warp
- PLA is bad because it requires finer tuning to extrude well (in my experience)

- ABS is good because it is easier to buy and easier to extrude well for small parts
- ABS is bad because it tends to warp catastrophically on large parts off the build platform unless you use a heated build platform (in which case it is just as nice as PLA and easier to print with!)

I've incorporated a bit of this into the existing ABS and PLA wiki pages.
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 28, 2010 04:11AM
Ok, thanks, that is what i wanted to know,
@Rob: if you want i can send you the source and the schematics of the quadrocopter.

April 28, 2010 04:43AM
@Rob: if you want i can send you the source and the schematics of the quadrocopter.

Want to tack it up here:
[reprap.org]
? It would be very helpful, I've seen a lot of quadcopter interest around here. smiling smiley

You can use the example mediawiki code from our example page:
[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 06:50AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 28, 2010 10:07AM
i dont have the time to write a wickipage at the moment, but in a few days that will be better.. I still have the cad-files of the carbon-frame, i did them just for visualization then, but maybee you could print that too.. printed copter would be nice winking smiley

April 28, 2010 11:48AM
ooh for sure! toss that source my way - future project right there smiling smiley

I wonder how much heavier a printed quadrotor would be - I mean the carbon fiber is obviously lighter but not having any milled aluminum blocks might balance that out.. this might be worth some investigation once I get a 2nd printer going.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login