Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very high temp plastics?

Posted by PulsedMedia 
Very high temp plastics?
January 06, 2015 08:28AM
I'm looking to create some parts which would function in a hot space, likely to see temps up to 250C peak and ambient of 100C.

To be precise: These would sit in a race car engine bay, turbocharged so potentially very high temps when during summer air can be 40C.

Polycarbonate would provide sufficient strength, for some parts ABS is sufficient. I have some PC-ABS mix pellets waiting to be made into filament - but ABS is hard to print in large sizes.

But what even higher temp there is? New cars have intake manifolds made from some kind of plastic composite.

I can make my own filament, just bought a filastruder for comparison and i've been planning to build my own as well for high speed filament making.
For the printer i probably need K couple and MAX6675 or AD597 driver?
Might require also water cooled hot end to be able to cool the hot end sufficiently.
What else?

As for the material, any suggestions?
I could acquire a BMW M50 intake manifold which is plastic and works well even on turbocharged engines, and try to grind that to make filament, but that sounds like ultra tough job to do.
Best would be a purchasing granules i can extrude on the filament and i would know *exactly* what kind of plastic that is.
Re: Very high temp plastics?
January 06, 2015 08:29AM
on one article i see this mentioned: "high-temperature-resistant polyamide 46"
VDX
January 06, 2015 03:20PM
... try PEEK ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 06, 2015 08:08PM
hmm... Yes, ofc! smiling smiley
Tho glass transition is lower than in some of the automotive nylon variations. Wonder how that would affect things.

Melting point: 343
So roughly 410C required for printing?

Where to buy tho either as granules?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login