Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to making filament

Posted by Racerx34 
New to making filament
January 21, 2015 11:01PM
Hi name is Nick im getting ready to start making my own filament and had a question about materials. I am long time scale model builder and have tons of kits laying around and was wandering if I can make my filament out of them. If I can i would it would be great it i wouldn't have to buy any filament for probably around 2 years at least. I have close to 2000 models in storage. I have a wave of grinding them up but just wanted to know before I tossed it in. Any help would be appreciated. also if I can what settings would I use on my printer then to print with it.
Re: New to making filament
January 27, 2015 12:27AM
What are they made out of?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to sell the models and buy raw pellets at $4/lb?
February 02, 2015 02:03AM
Most of them are made of styrene and I have some that are abs.

As for selling them in my area there isn't to many people that I can find that do them and I have no way of shipping them so I can't sell them online. Due to some health reasons I'm not allowed to drive so getting to the post office is almost impossible
February 02, 2015 11:29PM
USPS will pick up from your house, you can print shipping labels online.
June 11, 2015 08:41AM
Maybe you already chose some other course of action, but am answering this anyway..

You should be able to make some sort of filament of your old plastic parts. Just make sure you have them separated by type - theoretically mixing ABS and PS should be possible, but I would try to hold on to the original types. This is because when producing of recycled materials, getting a good consistency in the diameter of your filament can be difficult. All possible additives in the material and other contaminations and inconsistencies can have an effect on the viscosity of the molten plastic. If you have many pieces that are exactly the same, recycling them as one batch would be adviseable.

As to answer the extruding temperature - with ABS I'd extrude the filament in about 220-230 degrees C, and PS at 165-180 degrees C. In printing, I would use maybe slightly higher temperatures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login