Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

do all ABS pellets work for 3d printing?

Posted by printrboy_ 
do all ABS pellets work for 3d printing?
February 11, 2015 06:19AM
I know there are companies that sell pellets targeted at "home" 3d printer filament extruders.
But the cost including shipping (to Persia) kind of beats the purpose for me for making my own filament from such pellets instead of buying. But I have managed to find some local sellers of ABS pellets, but of course they are not for 3d printing specifically.

So my question is what kind of "pure" (no colorant, agents) ABS pellets work for making filament for 3d printing in general? Or does the A, B and S ratio not make much difference to care and they all are not different in this regard?

I would assume since people are making their own filament extruders now, and even recycling plastic from their old electronics covers and even refrigerators into filament there should be some data gathered by now on whether some ABS types are no good for 3d printing or which are better.

The ABS pellets I have access to I think is produced locally in a factory in nearby city.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 06:28AM by printrboy_.
Re: do all ABS pellets work for 3d printing?
February 11, 2015 08:48AM
The higher the MFR (Melt flow Rate) the beter. Have a read here about it : [www.soliforum.com]
February 11, 2015 02:09PM
Thanks.
From what I've gathered higher MFR helps extrude the pellets into filament faster. But how good the resulting filament is is not clear. And by that I mean how it adheres to the bed, how the layers bond, print warping, etc. I can't find any info if some ABS types are no good because of properties resulting in the above.

The pellets I have access to are used for injection molding if that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 02:10PM by printrboy_.
February 12, 2015 06:40AM
printrboy_
Thanks.
From what I've gathered higher MFR helps extrude the pellets into filament faster. But how good the resulting filament is is not clear. And by that I mean how it adheres to the bed, how the layers bond, print warping, etc. I can't find any info if some ABS types are no good because of properties resulting in the above.

The pellets I have access to are used for injection molding if that helps.

I might be wrong but
Bed adhesion : Is more a property of the bed then of the plastic (or better it's the relation between them), I use PEI and if the first layer is to close to the bed you will hardly get it of
Layer bonding : Is that not a function of the heat when layers are in contact and a function of the surface contact space and a function of the flow consistency?
Print warping : The datasheet will mention "Molding Shrinkage" might be that that property can be used to predict a part of the print warping?. Heated print chamber will solve most warping issues from what I understand.

But in short : Ask for a sample, extrude it and print with it. When the ABS you use has never been tested then people here will be looking forward to your experiences with it, I know I will grinning smiley

PS All ABS in 3d printing extruding are also used in injection molding as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 06:44AM by Frans@France.
February 12, 2015 07:05AM
Frans@France
But in short : Ask for a sample, extrude it and print with it.
The problem is there are so many variables, like the extruder I'll be using myself or the hotend or the A/B/S ratio and extra agents in my specific ABS pellets, that I don't think I'll have a good evidence or proof for anything even after hours of tests prints by myself.

PS All ABS in 3d printing extruding are also used in injection molding as far as I know.
Would be really cool if you'd have some links or something backing up this. That would pretty much answer my question in my opinion.
February 12, 2015 04:13PM
printrboy_
Frans@France
But in short : Ask for a sample, extrude it and print with it.
The problem is there are so many variables, like the extruder I'll be using myself or the hotend or the A/B/S ratio and extra agents in my specific ABS pellets, that I don't think I'll have a good evidence or proof for anything even after hours of tests prints by myself.

Well, if it prints what's the problem? Maybe you are overthinking it or I don't understand the issue? If the sample prints then it prints, if not then it's not the ABS you want.

printrboy_

Would be really cool if you'd have some links or something backing up this. That would pretty much answer my question in my opinion.

Check the link I posted earlier and then read all the datasheets of the ABS mentioned, you will see that those are all also used in injection molding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login