Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heater Barrel Idea

Posted by 3:37 
Heater Barrel Idea
July 09, 2010 07:40PM
Hi, I'm Building a RepStrap soon. Noticed people having trouble with PTFE melting on them so I started thinking about alternatives and came up with the attached design. The barrel would be made out of a single piece of threaded brass rod, the machining would consist of turning down the nozzle and drilling the two holes. The barrel would then simply be threaded into a extruder rig and then a hollow pipe attached to a radiator of some kind would be wrapped around it. I realize this will add cost and complexity but I believe the simplified shape of the barrel will reduce jams and the cooling rig (if built properly) will increase reliability.
[i.imgur.com]
Re: Heater Barrel Idea
July 10, 2010 09:51PM
Looks like this idea isn't new, [multi-bot.blogspot.com]
Re: Heater Barrel Idea
July 11, 2010 08:02AM
I have been wondering about liquid cooling since noticing mention of it on the forum a short while ago.

I think we have a problem in that any such solution would be inefficient. Too much energy is going into warming the water - so to speak. This also applies to heat sinks to a lesser degree. Both solutions add to the nozzle size.

Perhaps the crux is a suitable thermal break. We need to concentrate the heat in the melt zone/nozzle.

probably mentioning the obvious.

I am afraid I have no solution or 'currently' the means to explore. Still need workspace.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login