Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick Question: Can two different extruders have different nozzle sizes and different speeds?

Posted by ShareAHack 
Hi all, I've been thinking about this issue for a while and wondering what my options are.

I'm planning to add a second extruder to my old Mendel/Ramps 1.4 printer.

I've been printing decently with the current extruder I have for about a year now and am now looking to add a second one of the exact same type (Bulldog XL) because I'm experienced with it.

My question is this:

I was hoping to speed up my prints. The current nozzle size I use is 0.3mm and gives me really nice detailed prints but I feel like they could be faster. I was wondering if I add a second extruder (call it the INFILL extruder) with a 0.5mm nozzle, I could use the 0.5mm for infill and the 0.3mm (or maybe even 0.2) strictly for perimeters.

My thought is that with a larger nozzle, I could spit out more infill faster and wider, and then the 0.3mm "DETAIL" extruder could slow down on the perimeters.

Can any software (I use slic3r) have distinct settings for each extruder (mainly speed) and account for different nozzle widths on each extruder (reduce lines by adding width)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You can set different width for infill and perimeters, and use one hotend for the infill and the other for the perimeters, for example. See here. You can also infill every N layers instead of doing it every layer, see here.

I forgot to say that this is probably not the right forum section for this question, although the name of the forum is misleading somehow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 04:45PM by cristian.
Thank you for the links Christian. Yes I realized that as well right after I posted but could not find an option to delete the thread so I could re-post.

Will post my progress, cheers.

cristian
You can set different width for infill and perimeters, and use one hotend for the infill and the other for the perimeters, for example. See here. You can also infill every N layers instead of doing it every layer, see here.

I forgot to say that this is probably not the right forum section for this question, although the name of the forum is misleading somehow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login