Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which one is better? Bowden or direct?

Posted by Veesta 
Which one is better? Bowden or direct?
September 19, 2016 04:59AM
Hi there,
Question is in the topic tittle.

I have MK8 direct drive extruder and this mechanism can be converted to bowden feeder.

So, would it be a waste of time to try bowden feed extruder at some point?
VDX
Re: Which one is better? Bowden or direct?
September 19, 2016 05:54AM
... Bowden is good, if you have to reduce moving mass of the head (e.g. with a Delta) - but needs a good calibrated retract ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 05, 2017 07:02AM
I build several Prusa variants, with a wide range of hotends. Always with direct drives, i assumed the dd principle was better than the bowden.
Now i use a Ultimaker with a bowden, man how wrong was i!! This lightweight head print much finer, with almost no artifacts due to moving mass, and i have no problems whatsoever with the retraction, once dialed in correctly (6.5mm 25mm/sec)
If i would rebuild a machine, i would surely choose a bowden type.
February 13, 2017 12:04AM
@Rudydg I just picked up a Prusa I3 Ultimaker I believe and was wondering about some wiring issue I have. It has a proximity sensor on it and I am having trouble finding any sort of diagram for that. It has a Dual extruder and the guy I bought it from said it has wires coming off the sensor itself, Which I believe goes into the z axis from what I read and then he has two wires just hanging from the main bundle from the hot ends and he said those two are from the proximity sensor also. Is this true it just seems weird to me and being not connected to the sensor at all is there another one in the hot ends? Where do they go? He said he never used them and If you ask me it looks as if he never used the whole machine. Any enlightenment would be great I was trying to upload a pic but something is wrong with the site I think it won't let me. Thanks!
February 13, 2017 07:29AM
@jel111 : Prusa I3 and Ultimaker are totally different beasts AFAIK.

To get an answer you might want to provide more detailed informations, including links to where you bought it, pictures of the problematic parts, etc...

Ah also it is better to start a new thread unless the topic you want to discuss is exactly identical. DO NOT REPLY HERE, start a new thread please.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
February 13, 2017 03:32PM
Jel111;
The Ultimaker (2+) i have is a plug and play ready build printer. It has nothing to do with a prusa design.
Your question is completely different from the topic content.
Like said, start a new topic, with pics, to get an answer.

Greetings and succes ;-)
February 13, 2017 05:01PM
I did start a new topic and You are right they are different But the ramps board says Ultimaker right on it. I mention that so if anyone has a diagram for either machine on how the sensor hooks up it would be the same. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login