Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coil Winding

Posted by bobt 
Coil Winding
December 12, 2007 12:35AM
I am going to use my RepStrap to also wind coils for a generator I am making. Attach a coil form to the table base and instead of a extruder head there will be a wire layup head. With a roll of wire supported above the RepStrap the wire will travel down to the layup head which has a friction snubber on it to control the outflow of the wire and an controlled tube that is shaped like a J. The rotation of the layup tube will be controlled by a stepper motor. This is so cool I can't wait to build lots more of these. Precision fabrication of coils and all I have to do is change the base attachment and the extruder head to run off 600 coils at a time.

Bob Teeter
Re: Coil Winding
December 14, 2007 06:15AM
Bob

I followed all the first bits but am struggling with picturing the J shaped tube and why it is necessary. This is not to say that it' isn't necessary, clearly you feel that it is.

Why would an unmotorized trumpet mouthed tube/tip not work.... (Sort of J shaped all the way around).

Coil winding is something I also have a need for being interested in alternators and windmill's not to mention microhydro.

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
December 15, 2007 12:23PM
Andy - the reason for the J shape feeder tip is so that the wire can be controlled. Where it is placed. What I was going to build is a standard platform that had on the work surface besides the coil form was 2 electric clamps that hold the free end of the wire. Upon starting a coil. The positioning system would place the free end of the wire in a electronically control clamp to hold the end of the wire stable. The wire is then wound around the form to the size and wind count required for the coil. When that is finished the placement head would travel to a second electronic clamp that also has a wire cutter on the out feed side to cut the wire when done. All the human needs to do is start the process and when the feeding is complete attach the coil restrain controls to the coil and then remove and restart the system. The j-head control is to garantee that the wire goes where I want it to.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 16, 2007 10:01AM
Hmm

I can see where you are going with this.

Re the J shaped tube I still think that a tube with a flared trumpet shaped mouth (Shaped exactly like the inner curve of the hooked part of the J) would give you the same degree of control without the need for extra motoring or even castoring (same effect but unmotorized and therefore simpler).

The electro gripper as a way of starting off though is clever.

As for finishing. two turns round a post and then forcing the wire into a 'V' shaped cutting blade (A bit like IDC) made from two sharp blades clamped together should do the trick. It's all in the angle of the V. I guess it could be mechanized with a solenoid too after winding one.

I guess with the two turns round the post I am thinking of potentially going straight into a second or third or further number of coils without actually stopping.

If the former is tall enough and built correctly you can coil a whole bunch of separate coils separated vertically starting and ending with a turn round a post before finally cutting at the end of the last coil.

The coils can then be tied/taped off one at a time and the leads cut at the post before lifting each one off the former.

An adjustable former would probably be a good idea too.

I watched a couple of old guys doing rewinds at a company I worked for. the former they used had four posts each of a suitable diameter to avoid upsetting the minimum bending radius of a theoretically worst case wire size.

Each post was adjustable in/out down a slot angled so that the coil shape/size could be largely approximated. Final coil shaping was done at the time the coil was inserted into the slots in the motor. It couldn't be tightened up and taped before or it wouldn't fit through the narrow part in the top of the motor slot. (Clever eh, I always wondered how they did it until I saw)

If an adjustable former was made in a similar way but with 8 posts/slots and included your idea of a start gripper with a useful narrow diameter post for intermediate starts and finishes. (Good for constructing coils with multiple taps too) Together with a V cutter. You should actually be able to achieve most tasks. Including winding more than one coil at time.

Thoughts for what they are worth

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login