Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Decorator tip hotend

Posted by billyzelsnack 
Decorator tip hotend
April 17, 2011 12:57AM
I did a hotend experiment this evening..
[www.youtube.com]

It's a #1 cake decorator tip (nockel-plated brass) tied with copper wire and high temp soldered to a 10ohm 10watt resistor. Inside the tip is a tapered PTFE tube with a nut threaded on to hold it centered. The extruded ABS thread ended up being 0.9mm.

I don't know if the decorator tip is a good direction. I don't even know if you can get anything smaller than a #1. I'm mostly interested in feedback for using a the resistor as the thermal mass and conducting its heat via high temp soldered copper wire. Is using high temp solder structurally just asking for failure?
Re: Decorator tip hotend
April 19, 2011 08:26AM
A 0.9mm extrusion hole will give you maybe a 1.1mm - 1.3 mm extrudate so would mean very corse printing.

Making a metal block heater is quite simple to do with just a drill and a vice using enamel resistors fitted into the block again is easy and proven. Making the extruder nozel is more dificult I have sucessfuly used welding tips and if you have high temprature solder its is easy to make a smaller nozel size than the usual 0.6mm tip.

the welding tips are copper and can be held in a small vice to drill them out to 3.5mm i did this by drilling the hole out in stages at 1.5mm 2mm 2.5mm 3mm 3.5mm remember you must leave 1mm of the tip undrilled.

Once its drilled out make sure the 0.6mm hole is not blocked with deberis then solder over the original "0.6mm" hole so you can re-drill it with a 0.35 or 0.4mm drill. Note the welding tips say 0.6mm but seem to be a 0.6mm clearance hole so are much bigger the will extrude a 0.85mm - 0.95mm extrudate.

Then you can use to save money again 30mm of 16mm dowel to mount the welding tip into then you can mont the heater block onto the welding tip.

If you want to use 1.75mm filament the hole size to drill out the welding tip is 2.1mm I have found it is better to have a 3mm ptfe tube inside the dowel for the 1.75mm filament to be fed through the tube must be touching the top of the welding tip else you will get a blob of ABS inbetween the two. The PTFE tube must be glued into the dowel I have tried these adhesives that seem to work ok so far. Supperglue and Artists Golden Mediums GAC200 I pinched some of this from Midge my partner's Acrylic mediums Art box as she sugested I should try it.

hope this helps..

I am slowly ok very slowly documenting this style of Hot End on the WIKI...

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
April 19, 2011 09:22AM
I have seen a few references to using wood as the insulator but I have also seen pictures of charred ones. Surely wood will not handle 250C will it? I even find ceramic wool chars eventually at that temperature.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 19, 2011 10:29AM
Yeah. 0.9 is way too big. It just caught my eye at the hardware store and I wanted to try it out.

I've been wondering why the need for a separate nozzle? Why not just drill the hole directly into the block. Drill from two sides. One side with a larger bit for a PTFE tube and the other with a tiny bit. The larger bit will even give you a slight taper if you don't make it go all the way through. It's probably also possible to buy/modify a bit to be even more tapered.

Is having a relatively small block so close to the build really a problem? From a heat standpoint? I guess you could slightly pyramid cut or grind the block to help prevent collisions with blobs.
June 27, 2011 05:18PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen a few references to using wood as the
> insulator but I have also seen pictures of charred
> ones. Surely wood will not handle 250C will it? I
> even find ceramic wool chars eventually at that
> temperature.

Having personally experienced how quickly a wood insulated hot end can break down, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I'd love to find an inexpensive machinable ceramic for hot ends, but what I've found so far is sold at aerospace prices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login