Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternate Method of Attaching PTFE to McWire

Posted by Demented Chihuahua 
Alternate Method of Attaching PTFE to McWire
January 23, 2008 09:08PM
Just had a look-see at the McWire build instructions for the frame and stages. Nice job Zach! They look great.

I have something to offer that will make construction a lot simpler and cleaner and also reduce the part count some as well as the bottom line.

I have just finished using Super Glue to attache my PTFE strips to the acrylic stages. Holds like a champ! Bonds almost instantly and doesn't budge after it is set. This should make the build easier and cheaper. It also allows for the use of far less PTFE for the stripping.

Enjoy!

Demented
Re: Alternate Method of Attaching PTFE to McWire
January 24, 2008 12:01PM
Hey DC,

Thats a good suggestion, and will probably work, however there is one major reason that might not be a good solution: the bearings will eventually need to be replaced as they wear against the aluminum. I have no idea how fast this will happen or how often they will need to be replaced, but it will probably happen in a machine that is used alot.

I'll put your suggestion up in the wiki as an alternative. You could always pry the old ones off...
VDX
January 24, 2008 02:11PM
... cut a sheet of aluminium in the right size and with two holes, glue the PTFE on the aluminium and fix it with two screws through ...

Viktor
January 24, 2008 04:57PM
except thats *more* complicated not less. right now we simply have a strip of PTFE drilled with 2 holes that is then screwed to the stage. bearings wear out? unscrew the old one, screw in a new one. no aluminum fabrication needed =)
VDX
January 24, 2008 05:37PM
Hi Zach,

... you have PTFE-blocks, so they are stiff enough - but if you use PTFE-coatet sheets or glass-fabric, then you have to glue or combine with a changeable support.

I can use both, as i have bulk PTFE and different PTFE-sheets in stock, but when thinking of 'using what you have', then sometimes the 'more complicated' ways are easier to go winking smiley

Vktor
January 24, 2008 09:33PM
Zach,

I bought .061" thick PTFE. It seems pretty thick for this application and I would be surprised if it wears out very quickly. Even if it does, as you say, it can be pried off and replaced. If not, buy thicker stripping.

Demented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login