Best 3d Modelling Software for complete novice. MAC?
February 18, 2012 03:17PM
Hi guys

I am a complete novice, currently studying a BSC in design and innovation. My next module will introduce Solid Thinking, for which we will get a copy to use, but that doesn't start until February and we cannot get a hold of it before then. As a student I am entitled to free Autodesk software, I have downloaded Auto-Cad, Maya and Mudbox....but oh my days! They seem very complex. Is there something I could start out with that might be a bit easier to get into? Do they all go down similar paths...ie I use Photoshop a fair bit and the tools in that like the burn tool, dodge tool etc can be found in different software and tend to do the same thing? I realise PS is not a good comparison but I hope you see what I mean?

Or should I wait for Solid Thinking, I don't want to confuse myself!

multiple insect bites
Re: Best 3d Modelling Software for complete novice. MAC?
February 26, 2012 06:55AM
Google Sketchup? I use it on the Mac - it's basic, but works...
terenkleo,
Mac doesn't currently have many cad packages available...
Would you ever consider dual booting to windows or linux?

FreeCAD lists mac support (lion 64 bit) on their website. I'm just starting with the program but it seems to be a decent package. (though it closes out unexpectedly sometimes on my 10.04 linux machine)
-Jon
June 14, 2012 11:25AM
On my Mac I can run a bunch of programs, and I have not attempted to find more:
Freecad, Art of Illusion, Blender, BRL Cad, LibreCAD, OpenSCAD, Pleasant3D, Google Sketchup, SweetHome 3D, Wings 3D...
June 17, 2012 02:47PM
I would recommend Strata 3D CX (www.strata.com) as an inexpensive, fairly easy to learn 3D modeller for MAC. I use Cinema 4D mainly, but Strata was my first 3D modelling programme and it was not that hard to learn -it also renders beautifully.

Jacqueline
www.singularitymachine.com/blog
ip3
July 16, 2012 12:23PM
i installed brl cad and have no icon! how do i do this, Mac osx Lion
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login