Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solidworks 2012 help needed.

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
Solidworks 2012 help needed.
August 21, 2012 11:58AM
I have a swept curve that cuts into my GHT piece and at each end sticks a flat surface where the cutter stopped at the ends of the helix. How to I give it a slant angle at that end point? Using the Machinery's Handbook I need 30 degrees but after 3 days of searching and searching on the net I can't find out how to do this.

Anyone know?
VDX
Re: Solidworks 2012 help needed.
August 21, 2012 02:34PM
... some sketches to show details?

I have some CAD/CAM's with all sorts of 5-axis strategies, where complex sweeping curves or post-modyfiying tool-paths is mostly done by design - so if you only need the paths, I can construct them ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 21, 2012 03:59PM
The paths are done via the helix but I don't think you can "tilt the tip" of the helix in Solidworks so to speak.
VDX
August 21, 2012 04:47PM
... I'm not working with SolidWorks, so can't help here directly.

The CAD/CAM's I use regularly are IsyCAM3 (=PicturesbyPC), FeatureCAM and PowerMILL - in every of them I can either edit the original helix curve to create a different path or change the PP options, for automatic generation of additional starting and releasing toolpath-sections with length, angle and moving speeds ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

August 21, 2012 05:28PM
Sigh.

I was hoping to change it on the product. Here, let me show you what I mean: [www.thingiverse.com] See those ends? Those are at 90 degrees and really would need to be at 60 (in the real world it is 60 and 30 at the ends according to the machinary's handbook).
VDX
August 22, 2012 03:04AM
... you can use Meshmixer to edit/smooth the meshes (see attached image) or with any other 3D-CAD working with points/meshes.

My favorite method for series would be create/change a macro for autmated creation of helix profiles ... single occasions are better handled on the created STL-object ...

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - FemaleHoseEnd-3-changed.jpg (182.7 KB)
August 22, 2012 06:33AM
Yes, but look how it screwed up the rest of the mesh.
If you were to re-export an STL from meshmixer you would find that it has not actually screwed up the mesh. When you import an STL meshmixer automatically unifies the vertices and computes vertex normals, this is why it looks different in the rendering. But the actual faces are preserved (except where they have been modified).
August 22, 2012 12:03PM
I downloaded meshmixer but haven't tried it yet. Does it have a weighting type system like nurbs do?
August 22, 2012 12:51PM
That's a fairly complex geometry I think you're trying to do. Is VDX .jpg a good illustration of the effect you're after?

You searched 3 days. Did you look for examples to follow on 3dcontentcentral, or ask in the SolidWorks hosted forums how others have done it in the past?

Not knowing the exact geometry you're after, I can't suggest how to go about it. Maybe build a composite curve for the sweep path, maybe a 3DSketch on a helical surface. Maybe create the angle as a separate feature. Is the geometry you need simple enough to just cut a 30° angle? Use replace face? Where in Machinery's Handbook did you din the 30° angle?

I'm also wondering if you are modeling this for thread milling or if you intend to print it (or both). The end of a thread form isn't very important, especially if you have the lead-in chamfer on the hole.
August 22, 2012 01:05PM
Pg 1875, and I meant 35 degree entry and exit angle not 30.

What I do in Solidworks is use swept curve with a profile I created. The profile is from pg1873-1876 and is correct.

Printing mostly but I want it like you see on the end of a garden hose and that isn't it. I tried to tilt my profile but SW is not very nice in those regards as it lacks the freedom I am accustomed to in Cinema4D and Maya.
VDX
August 22, 2012 04:10PM
... the sample with Meshmixer was only a 'fast shot' of some seconds with meshmixer and the time to make the screenshot and attach it to the post. The mesh is only distorted/smoothed in the region in/around the highlighted area (the resizable red spot) ... the graphical representation is so 'wavy' because of the poor quality of the online-renderer in meshmixer, geometrically they'll not modified.

Attached are two images showing, how I'll make such edits in Lightwave (or any other 3D-mesh editor) - here too, the time to import, locate/zoom the object and then select the meshes and rotate them will take a minute or less.

Scripting a macro with this mods will take some time - this depends mostly on the capability of the program and the experience level of the user ...

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - Helix-repair 1.jpg (451.2 KB)
open | download - Helix-repair 2.jpg (458.1 KB)
August 22, 2012 06:41PM
Hmmm. I found hose couplings in my copy of Machinery's Handbook, but not on those pages. I'm still using the 24th edition. Anyhow, I didn't see a thread termination like what VDX has been modeling in that section. I would make that a separate feature in SolidWorks, not a part of the sweep.

Not finding what I think you're looking for in MH, I went out and looked at the brass fittings on my garden hose. I see what looks like a lead-in on a normal tapped hole: A chamfer on the opening of the drilled hole before the threads are cut, to help align the threads of two fittings during assembly.

If you want, post a copy of the .sldprt file (you may need to suppress all the features to make the file small enough to post), and I'll have a look at what you've set up and see if I can make it work.
August 22, 2012 06:55PM
Mine is the 28th edition there is a 29th and I do believe a 30th about to come out.
August 22, 2012 06:57PM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... the sample with Meshmixer was only a 'fast
> shot' of some seconds with meshmixer and the time
> to make the screenshot and attach it to the post.
> The mesh is only distorted/smoothed in the region
> in/around the highlighted area (the resizable red
> spot) ... the graphical representation is so
> 'wavy' because of the poor quality of the
> online-renderer in meshmixer, geometrically
> they'll not modified.
>
> Attached are two images showing, how I'll make
> such edits in Lightwave (or any other 3D-mesh
> editor) - here too, the time to import,
> locate/zoom the object and then select the meshes
> and rotate them will take a minute or less.
>
> Scripting a macro with this mods will take some
> time - this depends mostly on the capability of
> the program and the experience level of the user
> ...
Yeah, I can do the same thing in C4D but I was hoping to hit it at the creation stage.
August 22, 2012 07:08PM
I keep debating with myself over whether to update. I really want to get a look at one hand-ons and see what new information is in it.

I just remembered that some hoses have plastic fittings. Is this what you mean? The molded threads would look more like what VDX has been modeling. I'm pretty sure I've seen molded threads on 3dcontentcentral. I'll have a look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 07:15PM by Dale Dunn.
August 22, 2012 07:27PM
Let me take a scan shot and you can compare (of the handbook).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 07:27PM by Dark Alchemist.
August 22, 2012 07:43PM
OK. I had a look around and didn't find anything a really liked. I'll wait to see for sure what you need.
August 22, 2012 08:34PM
Here is pg. 1875.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 08:35PM by Dark Alchemist.
Attachments:
open | download - pg1875.png (62.7 KB)
VDX
August 23, 2012 02:59AM
... this is another 'modifying' than I've made - this entry-/exit-angles are best made by making the threads longer and then perform a boolean subtraction by a ring with 35° scewed inner/outer flanks.

Think how you'll make the treads (and ends) with a lathe ...

Viktor
--------

August 23, 2012 06:00AM
Lost me and I have no idea how to make the threads longer because that would mean making the helix longer which would mean starting at -0 of the object and that can't be done.
VDX
August 23, 2012 09:02AM
... make the complete object with threads longer and cut it down to correct measures with boolean subtraction ...

Viktor
--------

August 23, 2012 09:16AM
Oh, that would work but only on the one side. The other side would still be flat and besides I would think that if I made it longer the thread would still look like that because the starting angle and starting point would be the same. Like cutting a bolt down the thread will always look the same at the exact point you cut it since, for accuracy reasons, the thread will always be the same at that point on the curve.
VDX
August 23, 2012 11:12AM
... how are you constructing the thread?

If parametric, than you have to change the start- and end-points/angles, so it will elongate the inner start position.

With boolean cutting this elongation away with a 35°-ring you'll receive the right start angle at the inner side too ...

Viktor
--------

August 23, 2012 11:36AM
Creating the thread via a Helix doing exactly this way: [www.youtube.com]
August 23, 2012 01:11PM
OK, now I know what you need. That's the lead-in angle I saw on my fittings. VDX is right. You will have to make sure the thread runs at least 1/2 turn farther than you need it, then use a cut-extrude (with draft) or cut-revolve to make the lead-in angle. You may need to change how you make the helix to make this work, but you'r not going to get this geometry with just the swept helix feature. That angle does not follow the threads.

If you're using SolidWorks 2011 or 1012, I can do up an example for you.
August 23, 2012 01:44PM
2012 smiling smiley An example may help.
August 24, 2012 12:56PM
OK. I'll try to get it knocked out this evening.
August 24, 2012 10:15PM
OK, here's a quick model showing what the lead-in angles. I basically duplicated the Thingiverse model you linked, and added the lead-in angles. Let me know if that's the geometry you were looking for.
Attachments:
open | download - FemaleHoseEnd-3.zip (48.8 KB)
August 24, 2012 10:38PM
Loaded it in and it is invisible. I see some markings when I click on the sketches but the model is MIA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login