Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blender (or any other design tool) and Wacom Tablets

Posted by kurt_ek 
Blender (or any other design tool) and Wacom Tablets
January 22, 2013 06:04AM
I've been wondering about this for a while and what better place to ask than here?

I mainly use Blender to design my stuff. It's not super easy, but it works, it's Open Source, it's Multi-Platform and... just works... I've been wondering whether or not a Wacom tablet such as this could make things a bit easier not only in Blender but maybe even other design software...? I like Google Sketchup as well, but hate the fact that it really only works in Windows. In Linux hasn't worked (at least for me...). FreeCAD is a great option, but some things are really difficult to make: take a 2d picture and make it a 3d design... Not so simple...

Anyways, what do you guys think? Is it a good idea to use a tablet like that? Or better invest my money somewhere else? Anybody got any experience using the tablets?
Re: Blender (or any other design tool) and Wacom Tablets
January 28, 2013 06:42PM
For reference, I own a 6x9 wacom tablet. I use it routinely for photo manipulation and drawing/painting, but nothing else. For art, I see the wacom as an invaluable tool.

For cad work, programming, etc?

In my personal opinion, I'd prefer to use a 3-button (or better) mouse any day of the week over the wacom for non "drawing" operations. I use a Logitech diNovo with the cordless multi-button mouse - as well as a corded version of the mouse for backup when the battery inevitably faded and has to be cradled for a few hours.... Personally, I'd recommend investing in a good quality keyboard and mouse, but that's just me.

I've used tablets for CAD work, but I'm no fan, especially for tablets designed specifically to support drawing/painting, like the entire wacom series. (yes, they support cad too, but it's very secondary)

ymmv
VDX
Re: Blender (or any other design tool) and Wacom Tablets
January 29, 2013 02:15AM
... maybe another idea:

- I've found some of the old serial 6DOF-controllers from 3dconnexion for cheap on ebay - a "Spaceball 4000 FLX" for 6€ (+6€shipping) and a "Spacemouse PRO Magellan" for 19€.

This are really usefull devices for manipulating your views and special functions and are supported until WinXP over a serial port or a FTDI-RS232-USB cable by most modern CAD/CAM's and some other 3D-applications or games ... some cables don't support 5V, so you have to apply a separat 5V source (sometimes attached as adapter-cable and wall-plug PS).

For Win7 (and up) or programs not supporting the native 6DOF drivers there's an Arduiono-shield with a MAX232 and firmware for simulating a common HID, that can be predefined as mouse, joystick, 6DOF-controller and/or any special key function you want for the keys ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login