Advanced

How to convert 2d image to single layer stl file

Posted by tal 
tal
How to convert 2d image to single layer stl file
September 01, 2012 10:00PM
Hi all,

I'm new in this fielw.
I am about to build a Reprap 3d printer and there is an application which I would like to use the printer for 2d print such as a plotter which can print a full painted single color image.
Is it possible on Photoshop software to save a file as 2d STL or 3d single layer STL?

Thanks,
Tal
Re: How to convert 2d image to single layer stl file
September 02, 2012 12:56AM
I would like to add to this:-

Has anyone designed a head that will print/plot with a lacquer paint?
September 02, 2012 03:20PM
You *might be able to import to Sketchup, then convert to STL after giving the 0-height image a thickness. Full color sounds a bit daunting with the tech at the stage it's at.

erm...yes, in fact you can, sort of

open a photo in Sketchup
select it using the selection tool
right click the selected object and choose explode
then you can reselect the exploded object and use the push pull tool to apply thickness, setting it to a few layers of height, say 0.6mm for a 0.2mm print layer thickness (just to give it some substance.
Export to STL, (making sure to set mm as your units)
push through your slicing program, and print.

I have no idea how you're going to handle a mutlicolored image though. that's another answer from someone more sage than me.

edit: forgot to include proof of concept

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 03:23PM by xiando.
Attachments:
open | download - photo_3d_sketchup.png (26.4 KB)
September 02, 2012 03:41PM
You can use programs like Omm nom nom or PNG23D. But since RepRaps run Gcode you can use any program that generates gcode for milling like Inkscape to generate the gcode directly from a vector graphic.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Just to chime in after all this time

I tried the inkscape gcode plug ins (both of them, the us and russian version-which will become standard in inkscape 49
When I try to upload in pronterface, i get the measurements inclluding z, but no layers and does not print

Also
I am looking to cambam, simplecam, they convert from image/dxf to gcode, but the toolpaths cannot be changed-i mean the physical route, (not the properties)
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

C
October 06, 2012 07:17AM

but no layers and does not print

What exactly means "does not print"? I use Pronterface for milling and while the preview part of the window doesn't deal ideally with such G-code, milling works just fine.

Does your extruder no movements? Not surprising, as CAM typically means subtractive manufacturing, i.e. no extruder available. You'd have to make a filter adding in E movements. They can be calculated from the other three axes pretty straightforward.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Hi Traumflug

Does not print, means the pf sees the sizes, including Z usually 5 mm, but also indicates zero layers, material use 0 and time to complete zero seconds

I have no z axis installed, but the the x and y axis move when I feed it sliced stl, it does the moves 20 times, as it sees the layers

Would appreciate advice, i also had to hack out all the temp related code, as it would keep stopping on temp -as there is none
Also trying to adress the temp issue by raising the temp trip setting in marlin, but have problems to the the thing to move at all

Salemsh-i will check out your blog, maybe meet you there

Thx guys and have a grear weekend

C
October 07, 2012 05:36AM
"zero layer" just means Pronterface can't detect the layer. Doesn't matter for sending the G-code to the printer.

"Material use 0" means there are no E movements. Doesn't matter for sending G-code either.

If the "print" is done 20 times, your G-code commands to do so.

So far I can't see anything going wrong.

I am hearing you Traumflug, but the thing will not move, if the z size is 5, but sees no layer- how to solve?

I will add the PF text once i am on my pc

Br

C
October 08, 2012 06:06AM
Obviously you're not hearing. It doesn't matter how many layers Pronterface detects. If your bot doesn't move, your G-code doesn't command to do so.

July 24, 2013 10:47AM
Realise this is an old thread now but I did something similar yesterday.

Photo of a head reduced to b&w in photoshop, vector path generated for the outline, exported path to illustrator then saved as SVG.
SVG imported into Blender, converted from curve to mesh, I then made a model from that, and exported as STL.

To answer Coolerooney's point - have you extruded the object to have some thickness? Eg for a single layer print make a mesh .4mm (or whatever) thick.
March 19, 2014 07:17PM
I've had a lot of trouble finding actual reliable sources for things like this, I found a website called "Embossify.com", it creates single layered STLs really easily, its very fast, its free, and it hasn't crashed on me before, seems like a solid program for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login