Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SCAD Round anything - Retrospective SCAD rounding/filleting modules/library

Posted by irevdev 
SCAD Round anything - Retrospective SCAD rounding/filleting modules/library
July 05, 2017 04:55PM
I wrote what I think is an incredibly powerful module that will allow you to fillet any of your OpenSCAD modules retrospectively while keeping the original dimensions. You don't need design your part again, or start using rounded cube modules etc, just throw minkowskiRound() out the front of it and your good to go. But I can't help but thinking that surely someone has done this before? I figured some RepRap vetrans might be able to tell me.

Biggest downside is that it is very computationally intensive, needs low $fn unless you are willing to wait a long time (12 hours plus).

here is a link to the thingiverse page

I was going to try and get this added to the MCAD library, but that project looks pretty dead!?
Attachments:
open | download - mainminkowski.png (294.6 KB)
Re: SCAD Round anything - Retrospective SCAD rounding/filleting modules/library
September 11, 2017 09:24PM
implicitcad has rounding added to the union() function (and others) as a parameter, r=8 for example. it's much quicker. really this should not be done in scad it should be a fundamental part of libCGAL or the c-based source code of openscad where it can be properly optimised.

if you can raise a bugreport with the openscad team that would be really helpful: they will then know that yes, there are indeed other people asking for and needing this feature: it's ridiculous to have to actually hard-code special functions that manually create spheres and cylinders as a substitute for cubes, just to get rounded edges.

yes superb work: needs to be far more widely adopted.
Re: SCAD Round anything - Retrospective SCAD rounding/filleting modules/library
September 12, 2017 10:08PM
@lkcl I take it you're in some way associated with implicitcad?

When I saw your post here, I thought I'd give it a try at [www.implicitcad.org]

However, nothing much seems to work.

The message "Please hold. Our best server imps are now rendering your file." seems to be onscreen all the time. Editing the source code in the LH pane doesn't seem to affect the image in the RH pane. Clicking the "Render" button doesn't seem to do anything.

The links on [www.implicitcad.org] don't download anything.

What is the status of that project?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login