Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble Getting a Sketchup File to Print

Posted by Sniper4395 
Trouble Getting a Sketchup File to Print
October 02, 2012 09:07PM
Hey guys/gals,

Hope this is the correct place to post about this.

My girlfriend is making a few things for me in Sketchup and I cant figure out how to get them to print. Been using Guitar-List to convert her files to STL format, but I'm getting Manifold errors. Went back and edited the file as best I could using the wiki as a guide, but still getting manifold errors and such.

This is just a simple Ying-Yang symbol, so I was hoping someone could open it up and give us a better idea of what we are doing wrong.

The project she's working on now is a shot-glass chess set. It'll benefit everyone if we can get the files to Slice correctly.smileys with beer

OH! Using Sketchup 8 and Slicer 0.8.4
Attachments:
open | download - YinYang.skp (105.1 KB)
open | download - YinYang.stl (105.4 KB)
Re: Trouble Getting a Sketchup File to Print
October 03, 2012 01:31AM
I should have looked harder... There was an internal face that was keeping the whole thing from working. My bad.

Chess set will be posted when it's done, so check back on my Thingiverse page for a copy!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Ying-Yang On Thingiverse
October 04, 2012 07:46PM
Good deal!
November 21, 2012 04:04AM
How did you hunt down the extra face?
I have been using sketchup as i got a 3D printer to make prototype electronics housing boxes. I am assembling the models by extruding floors, walls, and lid parts then cutting and pasting together like lego parts. I cant get a good manifold with Sketchup even if I just extrude a big cube. I am sure it is just some setting I dont know about.
I am using Sketchup at the sub mm zoom so I can get an accurate sizing for my models as they have to snap together, I cant find anywhere that I can enter a number to get exact size and scale.
November 23, 2012 04:17AM
If it helps the file with holes is here, It is the box and lid for a USB charge controller board for 3.7v mobile phone batteries.
Maybe there is a plugin or something to unify the faces, maybe if sticking walls together like I did it is possible to disable intersection?
My file is free to use by anyone for any reason no rights reserved, steal this box!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 04:34AM by biketool.
Attachments:
open | download - boxandlid2.5x2.0v2.skp (60.6 KB)
November 26, 2012 05:35AM
@biketool: This type of object is done easier and quicker using OpenSCAD. See hundreds of box/chasis examples on Thingiverse (e.g. the Throated Box (Parametric)), the majority are parametric where you simply specify your dimensions and magically you have an STL file that you can slice and print.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
November 26, 2012 11:31AM
I made the move to openSCAD today and can't belive the time I wasted with GUI editors. I am sure there will be a place for Blender or Sketchup for some projects like when I need text but I sat down with some graph paper and a calculator; I had a working printed model with all of the holes for the USB port, LEDs, and rubber cable flex thingie for an outdoor circuit box in a few hours with the help of a few tutorials and printing out a list of commands.
I would still like a GUI editor front end to speed things up that would output openSCAD code but I seem to be doing fine hand writing the code.
November 29, 2012 09:58AM
This little GUI might interest you : OpenSCAD-polygon-editor

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login