Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How on earth do you align a specific face?

Posted by Alzibiff 
How on earth do you align a specific face?
April 15, 2013 03:55PM
I have downloaded a file from Thingiverse which I would like to print. Unfortunately, the flat face of the "thing" - the face which I want to be my layer 0 is not exactly aligned to the XY plane - it is angled at some unknown value so that the resulting GCode is pretty unworkable.
Is there an easy way of rotating this in something like NETFABB? I am sure there must be but I do not have the knowledge - I generally only use NETFABB to move STLs so that they are at the origin and not above or below the print bed.

Alan
Re: How on earth do you align a specific face?
April 16, 2013 03:05AM
YES you can do a Part - Rotate using netfabb Studio Basic!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 16, 2013 03:18AM
Bob,
Thank you for the reply but the problem I have is that I do not know what values to enter into the rotate boxes. What I need to do is align a face on the STL model, which I can point at, to the XY plane. It is the unknown angle which is the problem.

Alan
VDX
April 16, 2013 03:28AM
... in such 'undefined' cases I'm either measure the queestioned angles in a CAD capable of measuring dimensions, or rotate the parts manually ... first in coarse angular steps, then finer, until ist's aligned to the plane or to another part.

Could be helpfull importing parts with known positions and angles -- then align the 'unknown' parts to the predefined and last delete the imported template-model ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 16, 2013 04:54AM
In netffabb there is an "align bottom plate" button on the tool bar. Select that and then double click on the face you want to point downwards.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 16, 2013 05:25AM
Cool... Never saw that toolbar button before! smiling bouncing smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 16, 2013 05:36AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool... Never saw that toolbar button before!
> smiling bouncing smiley

Me neither - can't wait to get home from work and give it a go! Cheers Nophead. smileys with beer
Alan
April 16, 2013 10:42AM
Yes it is very useful. If the bottom is facing downwards to start with then I click on the top to turn it upside down so I can then click on the bottom without having to rotate the view.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 16, 2013 02:04PM
August 17, 2013 07:44AM
Hey guys I am a newbie here. I have a very knowledge about this field. But I want to learn these things. I am really impressed by this forum, especially like you people. As you are discussing the things. I like your conversation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login