Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[FreeCAD][Mod] File > 3D Print... From model to printer in FreeCAD

Posted by isonoob 
[FreeCAD][Mod] File > 3D Print... From model to printer in FreeCAD
May 12, 2013 03:30PM
Hi guys, I've posted this mod on the IRC, now wanted to bring it to the forum to get opinions. It adds a tool under the file menu called "3d print" which takes the current model in FreeCAD, creates an STL, uses a bundled slic3r to make the gcode, and then a shell version of pronterface (printcore) to send it to a connected 3d Printer. Please let me know what you think!

Heres a video of an early version with a 3d pritner attached:
[www.youtube.com]

Heres a video what it currently looks like:
[www.youtube.com]
Re: [FreeCAD][Mod] File > 3D Print... From model to printer in FreeCAD
May 13, 2013 06:26AM
where can i get this mod please, dont just chuck the idea in give us a link to get the modula cheers
May 13, 2013 07:13AM
sorry chris33, I'll try to release it ASAP

EDIT

I've developed this for use on Linux OS, is there any requests to port this over to Windows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 08:30AM by isonoob.
May 19, 2013 01:03AM
Hi all, I will be releasing "RepCAD" for linux in a couple of days after I finalize a few things. Some screenshots as well as future updates can be found here:

www.ihatescreamingchildren.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2013 01:04AM by isonoob.
May 19, 2013 04:21AM
Hi,

Very nice. But on your home page, it says RepCAD is a modified version of FreeCAD. I think it would be best if it was a module that can be added to an existing installation of FreeCAD, rather than having to install a customized version.

The reason is, many people either use the daily builds from the Ubuntu PPA, or compile FreeCAD from source.

For example a python module can be dropped into ~/.FreeCAD/Mod and will be detected by FreeCAD without need for compilation. It will not be erased if a new version of FreeCAD is installed. It may be easier to make it cross-platform too.

I'm no programmer but you could get input and advice on the FreeCAD developers forum. [sourceforge.net]

What I would like of such a tool is, instead of sending directly to the printer, having an intermediary step that gives info on the filament length required and the time to print (basically retrieving that info from pronterface), then a button to confirm. If that's doable... smiling smiley
May 19, 2013 09:16AM
Sorry I was unaware that modules would be undetected by FreeCAD. Every time I created a module I had to manually insert code that woudl let FreeCAD know the name of my module as well as all the files needed to be copied over. I do see your point however, and will make two versions, a module version and an integrated version smiling smiley

then port it over to windows T_T
May 21, 2013 10:12AM
[UPDATE]May 21st, 2013[UPDATE]
Due to requests, I will be releasing RepCAD as a module instead of a modified FreeCAD with RepCAD pre-installed && pre-configured. Changing to a module version will push the release back a little as I have to modify some configurations in order to achieve as much optimal "plug & play" as I can.

check out my website for more upcoming updates! CLICK HERE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 10:13AM by isonoob.
May 29, 2013 01:11PM
Hello!!
Where can I get RepCAD? I can not find the link. On the other hand I'll be interested in Windows version, if possible.

Thank you very much.
May 31, 2013 06:54AM
Probably because it is RapCad and not RepCad.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Hi there!

I read about your work and tried to find de RepCAD module for FreecAD and was impossible. Finally decided to compile Freecad with the instructions that appears here: [code.google.com] but at the end when FreeCAD starts everything looks like runs fine but when I try to send the model to a 3D printer it does nothing. If i use the terminal in that moment this is what appears:

Creating temporary STL file...
Exception (Fri Aug 9 11:33:33 2013): OSD_File::Write : file is not open
Stack Trace: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 1, in

When I was following the technocopia instructions there was a line that didn't work ( `sudo apt-get install curl curl -L [cpanmin.us] | perl - --sudo App::cpanminus`). I tried with wget but nothing. Do you think the above bug is a result of this? Do you know how can I fixit?
On the other hand did you make the RepCAD module for FreeCAD? May be with this module would be easier?.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out.

Thanks for your work and time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login