Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot export STL from Sketchup

Posted by Șap7e 
Cannot export STL from Sketchup
July 03, 2013 02:53PM
I am having problems with Google Sketchup V8 and V13. I cannot export STL and I installed all the plugins that I could find on the net.
I will attach the file, if someone could check if the file is exportable to STL will be a great favour to me.
The file represents an attachment to my headphones so i could connect to them a desktop microphone.
The headphones are here and this is the microphone that will be connected to the created attachment with the conjunction ball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 03:09PM by Șap7e.
Attachments:
open | download - Headphone-microphone.skp (254.2 KB)
open | download - jus1304077183.jpg (49.1 KB)
Re: Cannot export STL from Sketchup
July 06, 2013 03:24AM
I attached a Google Sketchup v7 file, just now I realised that the initial file was v13 and was impossible to open.
Attachments:
open | download - Headphone-microphone1 v7.skp (288.4 KB)
July 06, 2013 03:35PM
I have Sketchup 7 in my Windows virtual machine (I use Ubuntu) but I didn't want to fuss with finding an STL exporter (I seldom use it). I opened your last file and exported it to COLLADA (*.dae) and opened it in Blender which I barely know. Then I struggled to export to STL. Turns out you need to select an object before exporting. Couldn't find how to do multiple selection so I chose one of the 3 shapes.

I was able to export an STL, but the shape was incomplete. It turns out that the 3 objects in your file are made of separate components that are not fused together. That may be why you have trouble exporting to STL from Sketchup. (see attached file)

I cannot be of more help, as I barely know either Sketchup and Blender. I'm more of a CAD guy myself, and use FreeCAD at home.

Frankly, Sketchup may be easier to use, but considering how limited it is and how tricky it can be to generate valid STLs with it for 3D printing, I don't see much value in using it. Of course that is only the opinion of an experienced CAD user. Most CAD apps do have a steeper learning curve than Sketchup.
Attachments:
open | download - headphone-microphone1-v7-incomplete.stl (29.2 KB)
SketchUp 2013 introduced the "Extension Warehouse" which is the best place to find the latest version of the STL importer/exporter. Here's a direct link:

[extensions.sketchup.com]

If you don't want to use SketchUp 2013 and the Extension Warehouse, you can download the STL from this open source GetHub site:

[github.com]

Prior to exporting to STL, there's another extension that you should consider installing to make sure that your model is water tight, which is favorable for 3d printing (if not required).

[extensions.sketchup.com]

Note that you can always "down save" a SketchUp model to an older version. To do so, check out these steps:

1. Open SketchUp 2013.
2. Open the SketchUp file that you're working on.
3. Click File > Save As... > Save as Type drop-down menu > SketchUp version 8 (or version 7, 6, etc...).
4. Modify the file name to make it unique (for example add "-v8" to the end of the file name)
5. Click OK. You can now open the resulting file in SketchUp Pro 8.
August 27, 2013 04:44PM
doesn't work!
nothing happen when I export the model. I tried sketchupn2013 and v8
with the windows 7 pro, and both plugins.No stl was exported.
October 23, 2013 12:32AM
One thing I've found when exporting STL's from SU is that the export plug in doesn't work if you alter the file name at the time of export
Normally i just export to desktop with whatever name SU generates then right click and rename later.

I've also rearranged the items so they fit on a 200X 200mm print bed

Attached STL

I don't think it will print very well because of the slots in the attachment points. You may be able to print "with support" then clean out post print with a hacksaw blade

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 12:37AM by bigfilsing.
Attachments:
open | download - Headphonemicrophone1v8 export.stl (120.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login