Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Open Source 3D Modeling Programs

Posted by uMinded 
Open Source 3D Modeling Programs
July 29, 2013 12:46AM
I have been using OpenSCAD, CoffeeScad and OpenJSCAD and each have their benefits. What do you guys think about them?

Currently the most libraries are for OpenSCAD but do you think one of these contenders will take over??

[coffeescad.net]
[openjscad.org]
Re: Open Source 3D Modeling Programs
July 29, 2013 06:05AM
Here is something you would not expect.... Galigary once offered the 3 D NURBS Capable surface modeler for their TRUE SPACE program
Since Microsoft hijacked Caligary .... ist free for download!

If you would Need something with organic capability try Sharps construct - ( Linux based but also for Windows available )
alternatively there was a program called sculptris which is a shrinked functionality of Zbrush ... but performs pretty well on lower polycount or more simple objects!
July 29, 2013 05:48PM
I find those programmatic, CSG-based software terribly limited. There are limits to what you can do with constructive solid geometry. No current real CAD software is CSG-based anymore, apart from BRL-CAD.

The CadQuery project seems very promising because it is based on Open Cascade and thus has the potential to take advantage of a complete CAD B-rep based kernel. I'm talking about advanced tools such as sweep, loft, and also chamfer and fillet that you use directly without jumping through hoops. You can create much more complex shapes. Those tools are already available in FreeCAD.

What CadQuery seems to bring at the moment is an interface to some FreeCAD functionality and provide an easier way to create and modify shapes than with FreeCAD's python interface.

And you get parts that can be saved in STEP format, which is a universal CAD exchange standard.

The website parametricparts.com uses CadQuery so you can check it out.
July 30, 2013 03:39AM
As I have a fully capable ( not free) CAD unit using Rhinoceros I'm pretty more interested in the organic modelling - Z Brush, Mudbox, Sculptis etc

When Sculptris was available as a Beta I tried myself ( longer time ago!)

July 30, 2013 12:05PM
Optimist, you keep mentioning closed source programs. Read the topic title again: it says Open Source.
July 30, 2013 12:50PM
Ok... the base is closed ... but the VBS Engine within the programm opens wide fields!
July 30, 2013 12:58PM
VBS as in Visual Basic?

How about the fact you can't get it on Linux? That's the advantage of most open source software, they are operating system agnostic.
July 30, 2013 01:09PM
Thats my problem ! Tried to install OPEN FOAM on UBUNTU - since the WIN compilation was not stable - but, was not able to get a really good connection to the penguin! Linux always appears as " THE ENEMY" to me ... but thats me sad smiley .....
August 04, 2013 09:10PM
isnt blender open source?
August 04, 2013 09:21PM
Yes Blender is open source. My comment was directed toward Optimist whose suggestions were all closed source programs even though the topic title clearly mentions open source.

OpenFOAM is CFD, not 3D modeling so I find it hard to understand why you're mentioning it here. And if it's difficult to compile or install does not mean everything else is difficult on Ubuntu... eye rolling smiley

As a matter of fact it's been a long time since I've had trouble installing or compiling anything on Ubuntu. But I have not tried OpenFOAM, would have no use for it so...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login