Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blender Survival Guide

Posted by MaskedRetriever 
Blender's biggest problem is that its interface doesn't conform to many of the expectations a new user has concerning 3D navigation and manipulation.

There are a significant number of weird and arbitrary conventions that have to be memorized. However, once memorized, they don't detract from the user experience too much and Blender's power starts to become apparent.

I wrote this tutorial to help people get past the initial "shock and disgust" reaction to the tool:

[www.maskedretriever.com]
Re: Blender Survival Guide
May 27, 2009 12:38PM
Thanks for the tutorial! Here's a question for you though; say I've got a part, like the extruder screw holder, and I want to change the position and size of a couple of the mounting holes. Would I need to delete all the faces that intersect with the holes in questions, and re-build them in the new size and location?

Wade
Late reply, didn't come back 'till I was looking for help on my own stuff :\

No, but it may get itchy.

Since Blender isn't a hierarchical modeler but a "direct" modeler, all the geometry is mutable. However, since it's made out of polygons, odd errors can occur when you move a circle cut into a rectangle farther than a certain distance.

For light tweaks, this is rarely an issue. Moving a hole a large distance *might* become an issue. It takes practice to get used to what does and doesn't work, but the best way to find out is to try moving things and then carefully observe how the underlying polygons react, and failing that, whether it prints correctly.

If you have a particular question, you can just email the model to me and I'll look it over.
Re: Blender Survival Guide
February 01, 2010 12:24AM
I had massive similar problems removing holes from the RepMan part 10056
to model my alternative milling-head out of it.
Closing the holes with faces was ...well not easy as the alt+f -tool
is terribly stupid but workable. Removing the left over nodes inside
the plane was next to impossible without drawing thousands of polygons by hand.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login