Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BOLTS, a standard parts library for OpenSCAD and FreeCAD

Posted by jreinhardt 
Re: BOLTS, a standard parts library for OpenSCAD and FreeCAD
April 24, 2014 10:16PM
That question is feeling complicated. It has been almost 3 months since I last put time into this. I think it is very worthwhile to have a FOSS library for various platforms. What I am finding is that I don't have enough time to devote to this to keep in my mind how it works. If I look at my to-do list, it contains things like "figure out .base files." I feel bad about that, because I feel like your time has been wasted implementing SolidWorks code, and I haven't taken it very far with adding the necessary content to develop it further. I've been thinking for a couple weeks now that I need to make up my mind whether I'm really going to be able to be involved in this, and I'm afraid the answer has to be no. I hope I was at least able to give you some valuable input as a user of part libraries. I apologize for leading you to put time into beginning work on a SolidWorks version and not following through with what you needed me to do for that.
April 25, 2014 06:45AM
I know the situation when you have to many interesting things to do and not enough time, and I understand if you choose the way you choose. I also see that BOLTS is currently not the most developer friendly piece of software, and that there is a lot of effort required to get to a point where one can do something like this.

I think our effort towards BOLTS for SolidWorks made BOLTS better, so I do not consider the time I put into this wasted. We identified and fixed quite a few problems in the core libraries, and the SolidWorks code remains. Maybe in the future this will be the starting point for another effort.

I want to thank you for the time and effort you put into this, and I hope that you do not consider this wasted.
April 25, 2014 08:36AM
Well, If the net effect is that the project as a whole was improved, then it was worth the time. Hopefully I can come back to it in the future, as you say. I do think the project is worthwhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 08:37AM by Dale Dunn.
September 02, 2014 11:44AM
Hi everybody,

BOLTS now has a new website:

[www.bolts-library.org]

The new site offers many new features including

Internationalisation (in progress): BOLTS will be available in different languages. Help with translating here
Responsive design: The site is now usable also with tablets and mobile devices
Search: Quickly find what you are looking for with the new search feature

Please update your bookmarks! The old website hosted by github, only shows a migration message. If you have posted links to the old website which you believe attract a lot of traffic, please consider updating them.

Greetings

Johannes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 11:46AM by jreinhardt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login