Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with 3S text in sketchup and Cura

Posted by Antslake 
Problem with 3S text in sketchup and Cura
February 06, 2014 11:36PM
For the life of me I can't figure this out. I am designing a simple cap, on the top of the cap I want there to be an engraving of letters, so in sketchup I use the 3D text tool and make it. When I place the object in Cura, either face up or face down, the letters either disappear, or just the top of the cap disappears, and the letters remain. If I place the object on it's side, everything is there.

I am checking it in layer view so I can see what the printer will actually print. I tried putting the object into netfab and repair, same thing. Help! thanks grinning smiley
Re: Problem with 3S text in sketchup and Cura
February 07, 2014 09:13AM
Sketchup is known to produce bad STLs that confuse slicers (not tried myself, just read often about it).

Maybe try another Design tool.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
A2
February 07, 2014 10:04AM
DeuxVis, is correct, I have a friend that uses it.

It's not recommended to use a surfacing modeler to create STL data files.
There is a much higher probability for holes in your model, which are some times difficult, and time consuming to fix.

Best to use a solid modeler, (e.g. FreeCad).
[freecadweb.org]
[sourceforge.net]
[forum.freecadweb.org]
February 07, 2014 11:20PM
I am finding that out. It seems everytime I try to design something I run into a wall with sketchup. Looks like I am going to have a learning curve in front of me again, took me long enough to get good at sketchup. I have blender, is that just as good? What's a good line on tutorials? They seem scattered to me. I want to go in order and assume I know nothing.
A2
February 08, 2014 02:35AM
Don't use surfacing software.
If you were happy with Sketchup then use a solid modeler.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login