Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Meshmixer version available

Posted by Steve_Criz 
New Meshmixer version available
March 01, 2014 06:39PM
For people looking for a FREE (totally, with no catches!!) 3D app that can combine/join/bridge 3D models, sculpt existing models or 3D scans, close holes/gaps, fix mesh errors, optimise print orientation, slice and add custom supports - there's the latest version of Meshmixer (Autodesk) available!!

As it's free, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a try. I have and found it to be a very worthy addition to my 3D printing software toolbox. The more I delve into what Meshmixer is capable of; the less I use other appz I relied on as "mesh repairers" or "3D pre-print" check software.

I've attached some screen caps. Of note, is the print dialog screen cap - and especially the "Send to Makerware" button for those people who own/use Makerbot printers and/or Makerware as their .x3g creator.

Meshmixer - check it out!
Attachments:
open | download - New Makerware version.jpg (161.6 KB)
open | download - Meshmixer optimized with support.jpg (131.7 KB)
open | download - Meshmixer sent to Makerware.jpg (167.4 KB)
Re: New Meshmixer version available
March 02, 2014 02:42AM
One important thing to mention is that MeshMixer is Windows-only software.

Not everyone uses Windows you know.
March 02, 2014 08:36AM
Windows ONLY?

Apart from the Mac version, I guess it could be considered Windows only... grinning smiley
March 02, 2014 11:46AM
Doh! Got my foot in my mouth there. eye rolling smiley

But I still cannot use it: there is no Linux version.

And I checked this time. tongue sticking out smiley
March 02, 2014 07:57PM
This is a quote I found on the Meshmixer user forum... I imagine the comment applies to an earlier version of Meshmixer, so I'm not sure (given I don't run Linux) as to whether the comment applies to versions later than those released in 2012.

"I was playing around with Linux and MeshMixer works with Wine in Linux the only thing that doesnt work is the drag&drop thumbnails.."

What can I say... I'm only the messenger [actually just an old traditional artist dude who has used Lightwave to make 3D models/renders for well over a decade - then recently bought a 3D printer, and as a consequence looked around for appz that wouldn't cost the earth to fix mesh errors on the models I was making/attempting to print... especially errors that NetFabb net service or Meshlab were unable to correct - and then I spotted Meshmixer as a free download and it turned out to not only fix those errors NetFabb basic/cloud service/Meshlab couldn't but it also has sculpting tools, boolean and 3D printer specific stuff as well!!!! ] so please don't shoot me for Meshmixer's specifc failing/s on other hardware/OS's, etc.

Have a Good One! :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login