Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inkscape 2D to sketchup 3D ???

Posted by BobHewson 
Inkscape 2D to sketchup 3D ???
March 23, 2014 05:07PM
I have a drawing in both SVG and DFX formats, originally designed for laser cuting with 3mm plywood. I'd like to do the project with my 3D printer.

I first tried cleaning up the SVG drawing in Inkscape (I needed to make shape outlines continuous) and separated the parts as stand-alones. Sketchup wouldn't import the files.

Next I tried opening the DXF file directly in Sketchup 2014, successfully, and joined all gaps. I thought it would then be a simple matter of using the Sketchup Push/Pull feature to thicken the parts to 3 mm (same as the plywood thickness used with the laser cut project).

No so, I was unable to utilize this feature in Sketchup.

Would anyone have any suggestions of how to do what I am attempting?

Thanks,

Bob

(unable to share file as it is proprietory)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 12:07PM by BobHewson.
VDX
Re: Inkscape 2D to sketchup 3D ???
March 23, 2014 06:06PM
... I'm sometimes re-converting SVG's and DXF-files with OpenOffice-Draw, Corel10 or other programs -- so it's then compatible to the import-plugins of my CAM's.

This is sometimes a sort of testing/exchanging between the different format versions (especially in DXF) to find the correct one eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Inkscape 2D to sketchup 3D ???
March 23, 2014 09:41PM
Bob,

Just a thought, if you can share the link to the original DXF and SVG files, other could have a look at them.

I personally don't use Sketchup but would be willing to give it a shot in FreeCAD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login