Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Combine slicer and cad design for better mechanical designs

Posted by Draob 
Combine slicer and cad design for better mechanical designs
March 30, 2014 10:39AM
Hello all,

I am quite new to the reprap community, and there is one thing I have been thinking about.

Right now the 3D design program is separate from the software that decides how the part get actually made (the slicer).
Wouldn't it be better if you could combine these two somehow so you could have some more influence on how the part is made.

Why this would be useful:
- if you have a part and you know how the stresses are going to be, you could make sure that the plastic got extruded in the direction where the stresses are going to make it stronger in that direction.
- you could select parts which should have a solid infill so you don't have to print the whole part with a solid infill. For example for parts where you want to drill a hole in which could be in slightly different location every time, or when there is going to be some force applied to that area.

You could of course work around this by adjusting the design or printing it with solid infill.

Curious what others think about it, like I said, I am new so it could be a completely ridiculous idea.
Re: Combine slicer and cad design for better mechanical designs
March 30, 2014 12:23PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login