Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sketchup and Kisslicer problem

Posted by mrg78 
Sketchup and Kisslicer problem
June 08, 2014 05:42AM
Hello !

New to the forums, finished building my Rostock Delta 3D printer a few weeks ago, have printed some stuff from thingiverse but thought i try and design something of myself.
It's a new hubcap for a lawnmower smiling smiley
When i open it in kisslicer the whole bottom is red with warnings and when i slice it, it wants to fill up the entire void underneath...

Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong ?

Attaching both sketchup-file and stl-file
Sketchup Make v14 for Mac
Kisslicer 1.1 for Mac

Thank you in advance

Mats
Sweden
Attachments:
open | download - Hubcap.zip (569.1 KB)
open | download - Hubcap.stl.zip (208.3 KB)
A2
Re: Sketchup and Kisslicer problem
June 08, 2014 05:57AM
Your STL data file is non existent. Don't save it as a Zip file, try to upload the original STL data file.
June 08, 2014 06:12AM
Darn... the files are to large for upload.
Try getting it here:

[92.32.226.55]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 06:14AM by mrg78.
A2
June 08, 2014 08:42AM
I can't open it.
June 08, 2014 10:10AM
Hmmm, not sure why, tried downloading and opening it now on my windows-pc and it opens just fine...
Ah, never mind, i'll try and redo it in FreeCAD and se if there is a difference.

With regards
Mats
June 08, 2014 12:08PM
Yea, your problem is your mesh has no less than 603 non-manifolds on the bottom. Ah, got to love that Sketchup.eye rolling smiley

The file opened for me just fine in FreeCAD...

Modeling it in FreeCAD should produce much better results.

A couple of FreeCAD tips, if you don't know already, Setting your tessellation in Edit > Preferences > Part Design > Shape view tab to something lower than the default (0.5%) will give you a much finer mesh. I have mine set at 0.05 and round comes out round, not polygonal shape. You can also use the Mesh Design Workbench and mesh the part before export. You should be using one of the latest development builds for best results and have OpenSCAD installed if you want to perform Mesh Booleans.

Modeling your part as a valid solid and then meshing it will give you much better results than trying to model the part with a mesh modeler when it comes to 3D printing. winking smiley

And don't forget, FreeCAD 0.14 release is just around the corner. No hard date set yet, but it will be coming very soon.

Mark

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 11:59PM by markstephen.
June 09, 2014 03:51AM
Thank you! i have no idea what you just said but i found the mesh-thingie in FreeCAD smiling smiley
But when i try to "Create mesh from design" the whole thing crashes... perhaps because i have 0.14 beta... older versions didn't even start on my mac... i'll wait for 0.14 live

Managed to do the same model in FreeCad but when i export it without mesh i get the same results. Tried converting to solid and i see the same thing in FreeCad, the void is filled.

If i do something with ordinary shapes, squares and cylinders it works perfectly, so i'll try to do something without the "bowl"-shape until 0.14

Thank you again !

///Mats
June 22, 2014 04:36AM
Go and get the "Solid inspector" plugin for sketchup. That will highlight errors with non solid faces and vertices that make your model a "non solid". Additionally , grab the Cleanup3 plugin for automatic cleaning your models. These will save you a lot of grief especially when you can't work out why sketchup insists a particular model is a non solid despite seeing nothing obvious (cleanup is my favourite as it does the fixing for you) I'm on sketchup 8 pro, and it's all I need for modelling. Add in sketchy physics, lofticurve, DrawHelix, RoundCorner for bevels, and stl exporter, you have a very capable 3d modelling tool. For that pre-slic3r check, put it through auto-repair in netfabb basic.
August 05, 2014 05:50PM
Just wanted to tell you that i gave up on sketchup and freecad, found a nice little program called Rhino 3D, amazingly easy to use, love it smiling smiley
August 07, 2014 01:42AM
So you paid the $995 required to use Rhinoceros 3D after 25 saves?

Funny how "easy to use" is subjective. I have 16 years of experience in 3D CAD on a few CAD packages and I do not find Rhino easy to use. At all. Now FreeCAD on the other hand... And I saved 995 box! winking smiley
August 07, 2014 03:06PM
While I have very little experience with Rhino, I have no problems with FreeCAD and Kisslicer. In face, I have a little Macro and custom toolbar that makes exporting my FreeCAD 3D model to Kisslicer a one button operation. winking smiley Being a Linux only user, I am left with very few options for 3D CAD. Sure, Blender is out there and IMO Blender is an absolute premium 3D modeler program (and so much more), but it is not by any stretch a CAD program. If your looking for "easy" CAD, SpaceClaim looks like a real winner, but @ $2500 a seat and Windows only it's not really an option for me.

Sorry you found FreeCAD difficult to use. Did you look over any of the numinous YouTube tutorials on FreeCAD or visit the FreeCAD forum and ask for help / advice? There are several forum regulars there that use 3D printers and have a lot of hands on experience with FreeCAD and it's application to the 3D printing environment. (check the video in my signature)

Mark

Edit: BTW, I'm also a big fan of Blender, (intro to referenced video was done with Blender), but I do believe in using the best tool available for the job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 03:15PM by markstephen.

From FreeCAD To The Real World- Demo video using FreeCAD and featuring the Smartrap 3D Printer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login