Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DO TurboCAD V 21.2 STL files work?

Posted by paul4793 
DO TurboCAD V 21.2 STL files work?
January 28, 2015 07:22PM
I am new to 3D Printing. I have a design I did in TurboCAD v 21.2. I do not have a printer so expect for now to pay a printer to print the part. In an effor to get some idea what the print time will be and therefore the cost I Installed Printrun on my system. I used essentially the default Slic3r settings. The result I get when loading the part into Pronterface is about 3 layers in 0.5 seconds. I loaded a cylinder 2 inch diameter 3 inch high into Pronterface that was created in TubroCAD with similar results. There appear to be only 7 layers according to the graphics in Pronterface and it only took 9 seconds to print an estimated 9 layers. The Console indicates 15.31 mm wide, 15.31 mm deep and 5 mm high and 2.6 mm of fillament.

Now to my question. With essentially the default settings in Slic3r and Pronterface does it seem like the STL file is bad or could the parameters for Pronterface and Slic3r need to be adjusted. I have tried to repair the both files in Netfabb Basic 5.2 with no success but have not read the manual.
Re: DO TurboCAD V 21.2 STL files work?
January 31, 2015 07:59PM
Hello Paul,

I'm thinking it may be because you designed it in inches... But most slicer and printer software work in millimeters.

An STL file does not have units built in. So Slic3r assumes that 1 unit is 1mm. So your imported STL models are very small.

You need to check if Turbocad has a setting to export STL files to mm. What this actually does is scale the model before exporting. If it's not possible, then you will have to scale your model up 25.4 times in Turbocad before exporting to STL.
February 01, 2015 12:21AM
NormandC:
You nailed the problem. Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I changed the units to metric for the design and the cylinder looks like it would plot in the Pronterface display. There is still a problem with my part but it looks like TurboCAD has a problem converting a section to metric, but I do see the shape of my design.

Again thanks again for your time and response.

Paul
February 01, 2015 02:45AM
No problem, glad I could help.

Cheers

Norm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login