Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommendation for Linux based CAD software for a beginner

Posted by fractal5 
Recommendation for Linux based CAD software for a beginner
April 27, 2015 02:59PM
Could anyone recommend a simple CAD tool that is easy to use together with Slic3r and that has good Linux support? Ideally I would like something that is as easy to use as Sketchup, but running Sketchup in WINE is not an option for me. Also, I'm unable to get FreeCAD to install properly, so it has to be something else than FreeCAD.
Re: Recommendation for Linux based CAD software for a beginner
April 28, 2015 12:15AM
April 28, 2015 05:12AM
Hi,
FreeCAD is a good software, maybe you can get help to install it on your system. Personnaly, I use it on Linux Mint 17.1. I have always the latest build, because I installed it using the PPA repository, it just works.

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
April 29, 2015 09:08PM
Hello fractal5,

Your choices are much more limited on Linux. FreeCAD is hard to grasp for some people, while others pick it up quickly. If you're having trouble installing it on Linux, I can't only recommend you join the FreeCAD forum and post about your problems, you will surely get help. You'll also get a lot of help to learn using it. There are many YouTube videos, and the Help forum is quite active.

You did not mention which Linux distribution you're using. It is much, much simpler to install and use FreeCAD on Ubuntu or derived systems like Linux Mint than on other GNU/Linux distros. FYI I'm in charge of the Ubuntu PPA repositories (we have two, "Stable Releases" and "Daily Builds").

naxem42
Onshape smiling smiley

I was under the impression that they stopped accepting users, since they're still in the beta testing stage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login