Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sketchup look-alike

Posted by Anonymouse 
Sketchup look-alike
September 18, 2015 02:46AM
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a CAD program to learn in order to design small components for 3D printing.

I've been looking at Sketchup and really like it, but it just costs too much. I'm retired and a hobbyist, not a pro, so as much as I like it, it's just too much money.

I won't be designing houses, skyscrapers, earth-moving equipment or space shuttles, so nothing too complex please.

Thanks,
- Bill
Re: Sketchup look-alike
September 18, 2015 03:13AM
Someone just told me that when the Sketchup Pro 2015 free trial times out it becomes Sketchup Make, and Make has most of the features of Sketchup Pro 2015.

But as I'll be using it exclusively for 3-D printing, I'm wondering if Make will allow the appropriate export file formats and anything else necessary for the 3-D printing process.
November 08, 2015 05:31AM
A little bit late my answer, but if you can find SketchUp 8 ? (free still I think): Stl export ok.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
November 08, 2015 04:22PM
DesignSpark Mechanical is a free version of SpaceClaim and is pretty good for a free program but only exports to STL. If that is all you need then it is pretty powerful and there are loads of tutorials for it and also for SpaceClaim which are still mostly relevant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login