Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D to 2D

Posted by davmj 
3D to 2D
December 09, 2010 01:28PM
Hi,
I have a few STL files that I would like to convert to 2D views so that elements of them can go to a laser cutter. Any suggestions on the easiest way of doing this. (Budget limited so free software on Linux would be the best bet)/

I can load them up in Blender, but I have not seen a good way of exporting a suitable view, but I will keep playing.

(Ideally the 2D view would be in SVG format)

Thanks for any help

Cheers

David
Re: 3D to 2D
April 17, 2011 08:29AM
Oh, hi,

I have the same problem. I can make nearly every part out of aluminium (Alloy C-276 if I need^^) or plastic at work but I need 2D plans for the guys there.

I want to build the Prusa Mendel and I am working on Ubuntu Linux and have no clue about FreeCAD or openSCAD or whatever :-) but I am willing to learn. Maybe there is some kind of macro or plugin or whatever that can be used to draw the sizes needed at the parts from different views (front/side/top or whatever)?

Can somebody point a direction please?
amk
April 17, 2011 02:10PM
Hi,

The following blog post on 'Extracting 2D mendel outlines using OpenSCAD' might help:
[www.gilesbathgate.com]

Alan.

[amk355.wordpress.com]
April 18, 2011 11:29AM
Thanks a lot Alan, that is right what I need! I start extracting and measuring now :-)

I will post a link to the (past^^) files I have done. Maybe someone else has access to CNC and wants to use them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login