Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenSCAD hangs when 3D view is touched on OS Windows

Posted by keewhip 
OpenSCAD hangs when 3D view is touched on OS Windows
August 19, 2011 04:22AM
Openscad 2011.06 and 2011.04 both freeze on my computer OS windows Vista when I try to move the 3D view of the rendered object.
It doesn't matter if this is a very simple or very complex object.

I found out this only happens when Outlook 2007 is running.

I am now installing Outlook 2010 to see if this solves the problem.

I found out more people had this problem so hope this helps.
Re: OpenSCAD hangs when 3D view is touched on OS Windows
August 19, 2011 10:38AM
I get this problem on WinXP, but only when python is running my machines, or Skeinforge. I don't use outlook.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 19, 2011 05:33PM
I found that you can un-hang it by locking the screen and then unlocking it again. It must be some kind of window manager wierdness.
August 20, 2011 01:05AM
Yes, I have looked at the source code that handles mouse clicks and can't see how it does what it does. If I drag the mouse with either button down, after I have unlocked it with cltr-alt-del, the window pans by twice the distance moved and there is no way to rotate.

Very occasionally, when I use cltr-alt-del to unlock it it will blue screen my machine, which is a disaster when running my machines. As Windows should not allow a single process to lock up all mouse and keyboard input it must be a bug in Windows, or a driver. The odd thing is it only seems to happen in openscad.

November 24, 2011 02:08PM
I have the same issue with openscad and windows 7 64bit...it doesn't make a difference whether I am running outlook or not. I hope they fix this as it is annoying. I need to reboot to fix it...then eventually it will happen again.
November 24, 2011 02:18PM
Installing Outlook 2010 solved the problem for me.

If you are sure this fault gets triggered just try closing a quarter of your processes with task manager and see if it still happens. Yes => reboot and close another quarter of your processes, No => reboot and close half of the quarter you closed, etcetera.
This way I found out it was only happening when Outlook 2007 was running.
November 24, 2011 06:01PM

I hope they fix this as it is annoying.

The authors are not Windows users so I don't think it will be fixed any time soon. I have looked at the source code and cannot see any reason for it. It might be a bug in QT. There are so many dependencies I gave up on trying to build it and debug it. I bought a new laptop and use it purely for openscad rendering. I edit on my main PC and share the files.

December 26, 2011 06:04PM
i have XP SP2 on an old Dell 32 bit P4 and have not been able to replicate this bug.
if i had access to a windows machine where it was replicatable i could try to look at it.

there might be a possibility of doing some kind of 'workaround' if it is due to bugs in windows.

-DB
I am running XP SP2 and have the freezing problem. Sometimes it will work after a reboot and most of the time it will not work after a reboot. I have OutLook 2007 and still have the problem. I have found no consistant way of making it work. It just works sometimes.

A more descriptive discription of the problem is that Windows stops responding to mourse input. The display is still being updated. I can have Task Manager up, start openScad, just mouse click the openScad rending window, all applications stop responding to the mouse, and I can see in Task Manager that CPU utilization goes up to about 13% and stays there.

Bubba
January 12, 2012 10:02AM
I get the same on WINXP but not just the mouse, keyboard input as well.

The only time I see it lock up is either if I have my reprap machines running, which means I have an I/O intensive Python console app running, or I slice in Skeinforge, which is a CPU intensive Python app.

My guess is it a race condition and CPU usage affects whether it happens or not. Maybe a deadlock on some resource that affects the windows message queue. It must actually be a Windows or driver bug because an app should not be able to lock all the I/O no matter what it does. Odd it only occurs with OpenScad but I don't know if any of the other apps I use are QT based.

January 12, 2012 10:10AM
I had this problem to on my Windows XP system.
My new Windows 7, 64 bit, 8 core system does not have this problem.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
I have found a way to make openscad work every time on my laptop. Here is a bit more info to add to my eariler post. When I boot my laptop when it is out of the docking station, openscad will work every time and continue working if I then dock the laptop. I know everybody’s situation is a little bit different, so your millage may vary.

Bubba
SuperSonicFlea
February 19, 2012 05:25PM
Hi Guys,

If your having problems with Python Applications on Win 7 64bit, try uninstalling Python and installing a 32Bit version. I have found this Sorts out the problems your experiencing. I had this exact problem on my PC at work. and I had a Problem with Replicator-G at home. Changing to 32Bit Python 2.7.2 has sorted all my problems out. I don't see any need to 64 bit python at the moment.

Python 2.7.2 x86 windows installer - Download Link

Cheers,
SuperSonicFlea
Same problem here.
Occasionally got report the Microsoft Intellipoint had crashed.
Uninstalled Microsoft Intellipoiint and now Openscad works FINE.
February 27, 2012 06:08PM
I don't think I have that installed. I do have an Intellimouse but I can't find anything called Intellipoint. Was it something you installed?

I think I did install it some time ago for some unrelated issue -- can't remember now.
If you still have lockups and are on a laptop I did previously find that unpluging/pluging the power cord or a USB device could bring responsiveness back -- but that is obviously a dreadful work around.
PS
Intellipoint is here:
[support.microsoft.com]
I'm having the same issue. Openscad is the only program I have up. The problem occurs reguardless of whether I'm using a usb mouse or my mouse pad (without the usb mouse plugged in).

A related article that may help:
[brazenartifice.wordpress.com]
Thank you SuperSonicFlea. Installing the latest version of python (3.3.0) and then rebooting worked for me (to restart other running python programs)
This problem was happening everytime I ran openscad up until now. Now it works great. Thanks again.
May 28, 2012 03:45AM
Python 3 is a quite different language (for example print changes from a statement to a function) and I don't think it is backwards compatible, so I am surprised any python programs still work.

This is fixed, see this (8 posts from end). Ignore the app crash, hasn't happended again.

Note the exe needs to go into Program Files to work properly.
An updated Development Snapshot of the Windows installer, with the patch included, is available at the main openscad webpage, [www.openscad.org]
September 18, 2012 06:04PM
That Development Snapshot solved the problem for me! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login