Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Automatic electronic parts assembler

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Automatic electronic parts assembler
March 16, 2008 02:21AM
I wish that some time in the future it will be possible to assemble electronic parts automatically on the PCB. An automatic testing tool would be also nice.
Unfortunately, I don't know yet how the machine will be able to know the logic part of the assembling process, ie which type of part is coming next, what are its characteristics.
Using web cams (1-2) to identify parts is possible, I suppose
Re: Automatic electronic parts assembler
March 17, 2008 11:20AM
They have such things already. They are called "pick and place" systems. Google them. Pretty interesting but not really too feasible for a little home system such as we have.

Demented
March 17, 2008 03:45PM
Yes you can do it with a small 3D robot, a syringe to extrude solder paste and a small vacuum to pick up and place the parts. There is an excellent video on youtube of somebody doing it with a Taig mill. I intend to follow this path when I have time.

Edit: forgot the link

[uk.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2008 05:50PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 04, 2008 08:48AM
it pays off if you have to do lots of boards if you just want one or ten its way faster to build the thing yourself, i see the merits in distributing the reprap tho, as most people find it too difficult to assemble an electronics board, that way its possible to take the device to masses. then again if you are too ignorant to assemble a simple board i guess assembling the mechanical part of reprap is also over your head. ergo you need a reprap that can not only print all its parts but also assemble them. if you can do that i guess making the system to pick and place electronics components is prolly just a software job
May 04, 2008 09:03AM
I know how to assemble SMT boards, I just don't have the eyesight, dexterity and patience to do it anymore, so that is why I would use a machine like this. It may be very slow compared to a conventional pick and place machine but I still think it would be faster than manual placement and you can do something else while it is working away.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
May 04, 2008 05:17PM
... here is a video of a bit more sophisticated and faster homebrewed SMD-robot: [www.benezan.de]

Some guys in our CNC-forum have built nice 'toys' winking smiley

Viktor
May 30, 2008 06:46PM
That is very cool. Looks like a lot of those steal components could be reprapped with a bit of modification. Looks great and could be a real advantage for a small sized company with a little technical know-how.

Demented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login