Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Virtual Reality Omni-Shoes

Posted by user64 
Virtual Reality Omni-Shoes
February 21, 2018 04:22PM
Since buying an oculus rift, realizing the limitations of movement. I've been researching all the different types of Omni-directional
methods of moving in a virtual enviroment. infinadeck seems to be the best option but it's probably too expensive for me.

Vortrex looks a nice concept, I would like to try and see what it feels like having my forward motion cancelled out.
By building my own conveyor belt shoes, there is a video on youtube demonstrating powered shoes

[www.youtube.com]
The prototype above, uses roller skates powered by two motors with flexible shafts
This is similar to what I want to replicate. I dont mind being tethered by power cables.

I'm trying to source the main components, my weight is 10 stone. What motors/flexible shafts are suitable for operating under such load conditions?.
Last thing I want, is to spend money on rotary grinders only too find out they're no good for the purpose.
Whats the strongest stepper motor available? capable of moving my weight on a treadmill for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 05:47PM by user64.
VDX
Re: Virtual Reality Omni-Shoes
February 21, 2018 07:47PM
... there's a much simpler "passive" methode with a concave base and "glider" soles - so when stepping to the outside of the base, your shoes will slip back to the deepest position agein ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 21, 2018 10:31PM
I did consider those, but thought maybe a level motorized system would be less stress on the joints. most low friction platforms aren't cheap enough yet.
plus designing my own prototype will be an interesting challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 10:32PM by user64.
February 24, 2018 01:29PM
A bit of googling suggests that even small diameter flexible shafts can carry 60 lb-in torque. The main issue will be motors and weight... That backpack looks HEAVY! It also looks like it defeats the object of the project -- Total VR immersion. I don't usually walk around with a heavy backpack on.

How hard would it be to make a walking platform? Concave surface covered in ptfe maybe? Or perhaps ptfe shoes?
VDX
February 24, 2018 01:59PM
... if you're searching something with zero friction, then magnets on the soles and some FerroFluid in the concave "dish" is a valid solution ... but it will wreck your clothes when wetting them.

A pure passive mechanical methode are soles with many emedded small sliding rollers ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 16, 2018 03:59PM
Rather than use the low-friction solution, couldn't you use bearings in the shoes and aim a optical/laser mouse sensor in it (essentially two upside-down trackballs with other bearings that aren't tracked)?
October 02, 2018 08:41PM
Bearings don't make much sense here. They add more parts with little to no benefit (plus you'll likely hear them spinning and rattling). Try a concave plastic dish from perspex or the like and some thick woolen socks, all the low friction you'll need.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login