Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suggestions on tension

Posted by unlucky1 
Suggestions on tension
October 01, 2012 04:49PM
I just built a spool holder for loose spool and need some suggestion on tensioning it. It was a thingverse item 8331 and has 2 608 bearing. The goal is not to have to worry about the spool and now its too easy feeding that it can run away. Post your tensioning ideas please.

Thanks,
John
Re: Suggestions on tension
October 01, 2012 10:19PM
I can't tell from the picture, but I assume that's a threaded rod. Sewing machines have to tension the bobbin that thread comes off of; welding machines have to do the same thing. They both use a nut to compress a spring against the rotating spool. Tighten the nut, so the spring compresses, and the spool takes more tension to rotate. Loosen the nut to fee the spool. A spring that's big enough to go around the threaded rod, and an appropriate nut, would let you tension the filament spool.
Re: Suggestions on tension
October 01, 2012 10:48PM
I have had the same idea and yes that is threaded rod 5/16". The trick to that is that the spring would need to be pretty big. However, i am using a fender washer right now with two nuts jammed and it helps. It finding the right spring that will be a little tricky. I even thought about printing one to see how strong it might be and then maybe altering the end by the nuts to have a smaller hole. More to come. Keep the ideas comming please. All are welcome. P.s. i just printed a filament guide that will mount on top straifgt up and down to keep filament from rubbing and that could help also because it will be closer to the roll and maybe releave a little backlache. Thanks a bunch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login