Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Advice - Is this dome overhang printable?

Posted by LarsIslander 
Need Advice - Is this dome overhang printable?
October 02, 2012 05:32PM
Hi RepRap Forums!

This is my first post, so go easy on me smiling smiley

I've just ordered the hardware for a RepRap Huxley, and have been designing parts for my first project - Bulkhead fittings with drain covers for my new hydroponics growbeds.

I have attached a render of the design. The smaller part on the right is glued onto a 40mm ABS drain pipe, and is inserted through a hole in the bottom of the growbed. The larger part on the left goes on the inside of the growbed, and the two parts are to be bolted together with a bead of silicone gel between the two parts.

The inner part is causing me some trouble to design, as I want to have the cap on the top to stop grow media falling in. At the same time, I want to be sure that the part is printable on the RepRap.

The dome overhang on the drain cover part has a 40mm inner diameter, and the entire part is 100mm high.

I have also thought of printing each bulkhead as three parts; the pipe fitting being the same, a drain grill without a cap, and a flat cap that can be glued on afterwards.

As this is my first part designed for 3D printing, I wanted to get some expert opinion on the overhang.

- Lars
Attachments:
open | download - grow_bed_drain_2.jpg (60.5 KB)
Re: Need Advice - Is this dome overhang printable?
October 03, 2012 09:24AM
If you upload an stl file of the part, I could give it a try and post the results smiling smiley
October 03, 2012 09:48AM
Hi Jaramaniac,

Thanks, that would be cool. I'm still a month or two away from being able to print my own parts yet smiling smiley

I mocked up the part using LightWave. I think there is an stl export, but I've never tried it.

I'll have to convert it, or re-draw it in CAD. I have access to ProE, which does export STL as far as I know.

As soon as I have a file, I can upload it.

I also had a think about this this morning, and a 3 part solution with a separate flat top may be the better option. I may also go for small square holes instead of the long slots. I'll draw up some more ideas and post them.

- Lars
October 05, 2012 07:31AM
I believe it should definitely be printable, if not stand alone, then with some support material that just breaks away.

What format do you have it in at the moment?

I have access to a few different programs, i might be able to convert a copy and try.
February 06, 2013 12:25PM
Hi all,
i see this post is getting old with no answer to the question.
Larslander, did you manage to print it?
if you still need a model, give us a few dimensions of your component,
at least, we need the spherical radius, this can be modeled in 10min (ish)
Rhum51.
February 06, 2013 02:03PM
Hi Lars,
A few questions... is the dome top needed at all on the left hand part in your illustration?
If the dome is needed, then does it need to be domed on the inside also?
If it can be flat topped then there's no problem as a well calibrated printer will have no difficulty bridging that gap and putting a top on that cylinder shape. If it needs to be domed on the inside also then it could be printed with support switched on as you slice, and the support material removed later.

Just some suggestions.
Regards,
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login