Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

smd -> DIP

Posted by Neil Graham 
smd -> DIP
October 10, 2008 04:58PM
Something that could make building electronic devices more accessible would be a way to make a dip package that could contain a surface mount chip. It would be a bit of a challenge with the device and pins part of the construction but it's worth someone thinking about if it is doable.

A possibility is to make a clip together upper and lower section, sandwich the surface mount device in the centre.

Maybe it's impractical, maybe not. I'll leave that to someone smarter than me to figure that out.
Re: smd -> DIP (or SIP)
October 11, 2008 11:54AM
Greetings Niel, at al,

These already exist. Here are two manufactcurers (there may well be more):

Aries "correct a chip: : [www.arieselec.com]

"surfboards" [www.capitaladvanced.com]

I don't know if either sells in small quantities. One still has to solder the smd part onto the adaptor, but these at least isolate that to a small board that could be soldered separately.

HTH,

Larry
Re: smd -> DIP
October 14, 2008 12:13AM
They exist, but the prices I have seen are obscene. Some of the adapters are expensive enough it would just about be cheaper to custom print a pcb to accommodate the part.

I more envisaged the reprap as a tool for people without bags of money, espesially for things like this where prices are high because unit counts are low.
VDX
Re: smd -> DIP
October 14, 2008 04:14AM
... for someone with a CNC-router or a Dremel on a repstrap it shouldn't be a problem to mill some adapters from single-sided boards.

If you're interested, i could draw and output the isolation-contours and cutting-outlines as DXF, G-Code or any other relevant format.

With my CNC-mill i sometimes made doublesided PCB's until 160x100mm size and have some boards and engraving-bits lying around.

But it's a pain to start a single-parts distribution - better ask Zach or Ian from BfB if they're interested ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login