Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Keys

Posted by le_chiffre 
Keys
February 04, 2009 01:08PM
I think that a nice printing for RepRap could be keys. They are simple objects which people tend to loose very often, so it would have an universal appeal. I don't say that this will be THE killer app for RepRap as MsOffice was for Windows, but it's something that could be as useful as notepad. So... can plastic keys work in regular locks, or are they too weak?
sid
Re: Keys
February 04, 2009 06:42PM
depends on the lock winking smiley

But I'm pretty sure that it wont work for at least 60% of the locks.

If your lock isn't greased very well a plastic key may not be strong enough to move it.
If you have a new(er) lock a printed key may not be precise enough to release the pins.
If you have some sort of high security lock; than you wont be able to replicate all necessary details (even rfid chips are found in some doorlocks)

You'll be able to make keys for simpler locks though.
But I guess it's hard to make a functional key even for simple locks due to the profile of the cylinder.

I wouldn't say it's a "simple" object at all winking smiley

'sid
February 05, 2009 12:12PM
Not to be negative, but the risk of delamination is probably quite high, since the key is probably only a line of plastic or two thick. Although as soon as my reprap's accuracy is okay I want to make a large plastic lock and key for showing how lockpicking works.
February 07, 2009 06:28PM
Mill 'em instead! smiling bouncing smiley

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login