Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electrified scooter

Posted by mardy3d 
Electrified scooter
October 01, 2015 11:05AM
Good day everybody,

For a long time already, I am thinking about electrifying a scooter. I know that it is not too much connected to 3D printing but since I love my printer and the community (you guys!), I am asking you.

This is what I thought of:
  • The model I thought of is such a device: scooter. Of course, this is still upgradable in means of stability and feasability for mounting a motor.
  • There should an electric motor be mounted which drives the rear wheel. Possibly through a small chain or alternatively, with a belt. Like the GT2 belts but way more stable. Therefore, similar to what people use for motorcycles.
  • I'd like to avoid using a real gear system. Simply a gear for the motor shaft and one for the wheel.

Now, what I need help for:
  • I don't know very much about electronics. In particular, the power electronics needed for such a project. I saw people using a motor with a dedicated controller. The keyword "hall sensors" for the motors was mentioned.
  • How to dimension the battery pack.
  • While I'd try the "Trial and error" concept for the mounting process, I am not sure if there is a place to get the gears+chain (or: gears+belt) from.

Therefore my questions to you guys:
  • Which controller + motor system would ensure enough power? The best would be if purchasable from Germany. Of course, an explicit combo would be nice but is there some literature to get the knowledge to determine myself?
  • Do you know any good knowledge sources about batteries in general? I think for this project, the knowledge from model making would be nice to gather. Simply such things like "3s2p" labels on batteries.
  • Do you might know some good places to get the chains/gears from? Again, most preferable from within Germany.

I did not prepare any figures, designs or anything so far. Simply because the project is still in the phase of determining if it is possible to accomplish :-P.

Best wishes and thank you big times for every piece of help!
Mardy

Germany - Prusa i3v - curious
Re: Electrified scooter
November 13, 2015 11:26AM
This is a nice project, please keep us updated about what you are building. I think that for electronics and battery, you could use packs designed for electric bicycle as the specs will be very similar to what you require. Then you need to find a motor with compatible power and voltage. Once you are done with purchases, you can focus on intergrating the whole thing into your scooter, that's a serious amount of work but nothing is impossible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login