Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rotating build paltform

Posted by deckingman 
Rotating build paltform
June 17, 2016 07:10AM
More ramblings from a crazy old man. I was thinking that for producing solely cylindrical objects such as vases and the like, one could have a rotating build platform. Then the print head would only need to move in one direction - either the x or y and then only after one complete rotation. It'd probably need to move in z as well on layer change because having a build platform that rotates as well as moves up and down might be a bit too tricky. The bed could be some sort of "lazy Susan" type arrangement and you'd probably want it to turn with constant linear velocity, rather than angular velocity (a bit like a DVD player head). I'd have thought it ought to be pretty simple to do and potentially very fast and stable, as there would be no changes of direction for any of the moving parts (except at layer change) but one would be spinning the printed object of course.

Then I got to thinking actually, if one varied the speed of rotation at the same time as moving the head back and forth in X, one could in fact do straight lines and so produce any shape, not just circular. So effectively, X is linear but Y is circular (but doesn't change direction, only speed).

Just thought I'd toss those thoughts into the pond and see what ripples come back.
Re: Rotating build paltform
June 17, 2016 03:34PM
something like this you mean?
June 17, 2016 07:47PM
I had the same idea, some time ago.

The issue seems to be that printing at the centre of rotation becomes problematic. And the ratio of steps between the centre of rotation and the outside is a big limiting factor.
June 18, 2016 04:05AM
gforce1
something like this you mean?

I was thinking more on the lines of constant rotation, rather than oscillating back and forth. Also, something a bit more substantial than what looks like a child's toy kitchen mixer.smiling smiley
June 18, 2016 04:10AM
frankvdh
I had the same idea, some time ago.

The issue seems to be that printing at the centre of rotation becomes problematic. And the ratio of steps between the centre of rotation and the outside is a big limiting factor.

All true I guess. Although the new Duet will support 256 micro stepping I believe.................
June 26, 2016 09:38PM
Useful for printing gears, pulleys and wheels. Relatively difficult make round things with cartesian printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login