Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homemade printer

Posted by elpekenin 
Homemade printer
January 09, 2017 09:55AM
First of all sorry for my bad english and im not sure if this topic should be here,sorry if it isnt

Well,im thinking about building a printer with recliced material, for now i will make axis X,Y,Z with old DVD players and i will get a power supply from a broken PC, i need help with sofware, the part that heates and prints(i dont know how it is named xD) and electronics.Could you help me?
Ty for the replies.
VDX
Re: Homemade printer
January 09, 2017 10:02AM
... the sliders from DVD-players don't have the needed power to drive an FDM/FFF-printer - better search old plotters or flatbed-scanners ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 09, 2017 10:08AM
i have no one and it will be difficult to get them, is it imposible to make a printer with DVDs? i obviously dont want a perfect one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 10:09AM by elpekenin.
January 09, 2017 10:31AM
You'd have to obtain the extruder motor and hot end along with the XYZ and some general way to control the stepper motors. Without the extruder or hot end, you'd have a hard time heating the plastic and dispensing it onto a surface. You might be able to use the DVD drive motors for XYZ, but it wouldn't be very big considering they aren't going to be powerful enough to move any heavy mass.
January 09, 2017 10:35AM
Ok thanks could you give me a link to that?(low prices pls)
i know it will be small, i dont care about size i wont print large pieces
January 09, 2017 12:19PM
Dvd's dont have stepper motors, you would be better finding some olp ink jet printers
January 09, 2017 12:53PM
i´ve seen some videos about homemade printers and some of them used DVD :/
January 09, 2017 01:43PM
Do you undertand spanish?
If yes, here your are a very good guide: [haudahau.com]
January 09, 2017 02:12PM
si,vivo en españa xD
January 16, 2017 04:51PM
Take a look at this, Never built one but looks to be what you are thinking

[www.instructables.com]
January 17, 2017 01:37AM
January 17, 2017 03:51PM
im gonna post photos if i can build it,the most important thing is where can i get some 3d pieces printed?i need them for the printer xD kinda funny and pls dont tell me about shapeways its so expensive,any donator or something like that?
PD:Im having issues using sketchup,can some1 link a nice tutorial?pref esp but if it is eng i dont care
PD2:Is it posible to convert/import .3mf files(3d design native app in w10)into sketchup?
Ty for all the replies boys smiling smiley
January 17, 2017 04:28PM
One option for getting 3d printed parts, if you don't have access to a 3d printer would be from 3dHubs. I have never used this service, only know of it's existence, but you might be able to find one close to you.
January 29, 2017 06:05PM
Hi
I did a dvd 3d printer assembly and it can be done .
Its true that the motors cant handle too much weight but that can be somewhat solved.

Most online sources show the printer / cnc with a horizontal Y axis and the ZX axis monted together on a vertical plane.
Doinng this puts alot of strain on either the X or Z axis because it will have to carry one axis + extruder / hotend.

Wich is why i recomend puting x+y axis on a horizontal plane , one caries the other with the build area, and the Z axis on the vertical plane only driving the extruder / hot end assembly.
Mind you even so you will have weight issues. I had loads of drives to scavange from and eventually found a bit more powerfull motor, at one point i even overpowered it (mind you that isnt safe)
Another alternative is to use a floppy motor as z-axys (altho loosint alot of height) or making a new z-axis using a stepper from printer/ scanner, but if you do that for z, you might as well do it for x and y too.

But i say go for it, you learn alot during the process.
By the way i control mine using Arduino Uno +EasyDriver for stepper motors and Teacup Firmware.

Now as i said you learn alot doing this things, and one thing i learned was "better go for arduino mega", you can install other firmware on it + you have more IO ports, wich all conspire to give more flexibility
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login