Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Kid With an Idea

Posted by redskinsjbs 
A Kid With an Idea
December 19, 2007 09:16PM
I ultimately want to build one of these for my high school. This is because, after taking engineering there and designing things on inventor and AutoCAD, it was really unrewarding to print out a lame piece of paper with an isometric drawing on it. And what better place to have a rapid prototyping device than in a classroom, right?

Jay
Re: A Kid With an Idea
December 25, 2007 12:21PM
Jay,

I agree. I'm doing one for my college right now; Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT). I got it made into a class and am receiving credits (3) for it while they foot the bill for all this playing! Not a bad idea. See if you can get your HS to pay for the materials. It isn't that expensive and they can use it as a real centerpiece for showing off the school.

Demented
December 25, 2007 07:16PM
Wow, what a great idea! Now I want to make a school "club" with me and some interested friends and get official school support. Then again, I'd feel bad to leave all my work behind after graduation, and our CAD/CAM class is kind of a joke; I doubt the teacher would care enough to even keep the machine maintained.
December 25, 2007 10:17PM
Yea, see my teacher really wants to make his class great, its just that the cschool feels that funding should be placed elsewhere.

Jay
December 25, 2007 11:04PM
Gentlemen - Let me make a small suggestion. Locate a local company/companies that does/do this type of work (ie engineering and such) Ask them for a specific donation to the school for this project and to add to you/your groups training. The reason for the specific donation is so that the school cannot do whatever they want with it but must use it for this purpose. Also if you can convince the company they just might help with your project with some training(ie. come talk to the group). What should come from you is how interested/dedicated you are on this project. One of the things that you may find is that with getting outside help on this the teacher may come around to having an interest when it becomes apparent that he is not providing enough education. It always helps to have another professional checking to make some people step up to the mark.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login