Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Virtual Reality Omni-Shoes

Posted by user64 
Virtual Reality Omni-Shoes
February 21, 2018 04:22PM
Since buying an oculus rift, realizing the limitations of movement. I've been researching all the different types of Omni-directional
methods of moving in a virtual enviroment. infinadeck seems to be the best option but it's probably too expensive for me.

Vortrex looks a nice concept, I would like to try and see what it feels like having my forward motion cancelled out.
By building my own conveyor belt shoes, there is a video on youtube demonstrating powered shoes

[www.youtube.com]
The prototype above, uses roller skates powered by two motors with flexible shafts
This is similar to what I want to replicate. I dont mind being tethered by power cables.

I'm trying to source the main components, my weight is 10 stone. What motors/flexible shafts are suitable for operating under such load conditions?.
Last thing I want, is to spend money on rotary grinders only too find out they're no good for the purpose.
Whats the strongest stepper motor available? capable of moving my weight on a treadmill for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 05:47PM by user64.
VDX
Re: Virtual Reality Omni-Shoes
February 21, 2018 07:47PM
... there's a much simpler "passive" methode with a concave base and "glider" soles - so when stepping to the outside of the base, your shoes will slip back to the deepest position agein ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org]
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 21, 2018 10:31PM
I did consider those, but thought maybe a level motorized system would be less stress on the joints. most low friction platforms aren't cheap enough yet.
plus designing my own prototype will be an interesting challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 10:32PM by user64.
February 24, 2018 01:29PM
A bit of googling suggests that even small diameter flexible shafts can carry 60 lb-in torque. The main issue will be motors and weight... That backpack looks HEAVY! It also looks like it defeats the object of the project -- Total VR immersion. I don't usually walk around with a heavy backpack on.

How hard would it be to make a walking platform? Concave surface covered in ptfe maybe? Or perhaps ptfe shoes?
VDX
February 24, 2018 01:59PM
... if you're searching something with zero friction, then magnets on the soles and some FerroFluid in the concave "dish" is a valid solution ... but it will wreck your clothes when wetting them.

A pure passive mechanical methode are soles with many emedded small sliding rollers ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org]
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 16, 2018 03:59PM
Rather than use the low-friction solution, couldn't you use bearings in the shoes and aim a optical/laser mouse sensor in it (essentially two upside-down trackballs with other bearings that aren't tracked)?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login