Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bearing Accesories

Posted by aka47 
Bearing Accesories
January 22, 2008 02:37PM
Things to print......

Given that we are looking at using Skate Bearings (608 Deep Groove Bearings, 22x7x8mm)

I think there is possibly the demand for a range of printable accessories that can be used with these bearings ie :-

An 8mm wide clip on tyre than would allow the bearings to be used as rollers in the 8mm slots of standard Aluminum Extrusions (Bosch Rexroth, Kanya, & DIY Store Channel etc)

A 10mm wide clip on tyre than would allow the bearings to be used as rollers in the 10mm slots of standard Aluminum Extrusions (Bosch Rexroth, DIY Store Channel etc).

If we take that same clip on tyre thin out the tyre depth and print on a flange on the insertion side of the tyre we have a mounting bush for the bearings. Print in the bolt/screw holes too.

A drop in cup that goes into the bore of the bearing and reduces the bore to 6mm I say cup because it needs to have a bottom to it so that the bearing can take thrust (remove endplay from a direct driven motorized 6M lead screw, 6M standard threading vive 1mm of displacement per revolution) The cup will also need a top flange of aprox 2mm to stop it dropping through the bore of the bearing.

A clip in sleeve that goes into the bore of the bearing and reduces the bore to 6mm with a top flange 2mm and enough of a bottom flange 0.5mm to ensure that the sleeve stays put once clipped in.

These are things I could realy do with even if only in plug form to mould from at the moment for some rep strap type items I want to build.

I am a bit stuffed for being short a lathe.

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
Re: Bearing Accesories
January 23, 2008 09:24PM
About being short a lathe...

[www.btinternet.com]

and my initial build pics of my work in progress...

[picasaweb.google.com]

Hope that helps the hopeless! Don't hesitate, jump in and build one!

Demented
January 24, 2008 11:02AM
Demented sir

Those links are pretty cool.

I am currently working (besides on the universal servo controller) on a Dremmel based manual milling machine that can be later pressed into service as a rep strap (when motorized up etc), using standard aluminum extrusion the 30 x 30 mm type with slots and accessories etc.

I had a brain wave the other day as to how to cut any hole size you fancy using a milling setup and get perfect circles.

drill the center of the mill bed and install a pin with the same diameter as the milling bit used to drill the hole in the milling bed. if the center of each hole to be drilled is then drilled using the same milling bit the piece can be put onto the pin. If you then ofset the bed by the required radius you can use the z axis to drill another hole and then turn the piece around the pin by hand until the circle is cut out.

To be honest you wouldn't really need a milling setup to do this a dremmel style drill press modified with a wind up/down mechanism would do with some clever lumps of material as shims and clamping. It wouldn't be as versatile though and would take a bit of time and lateral thinking.

You can even use the same technique to cut part of the way through. using this in combination it should be possible to make some of the bearing mounts etc at least in a plug format to be molded from.

It would though be much easier, quicker and fun to be able to print them though, wouldn't it.....

After the milling machine I will head the lathe route.

The links you gave have provided some very useful input.

Cheers

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
VDX
January 24, 2008 02:53PM
... when you have a CNC-mill or a real rigid repstrap, then you can pass by without a lathe - look on this video: [www.youtube.com]

It's a perfect way to 'automatize' batch-fabbing of some parts for the reprap too ...

Viktor
January 24, 2008 04:58PM
Wow

That is about the coolest thing I have seen this year.

Obvious once you have seen it but taking a great deal of latteral thinking to get there.

Hmmmmmm

I like that.

Perhaps a Dremmel Milling machine will do after all.....

How many tools do you think would be the minimum to be able to make most things without changing tools mid run.

So lets see may be :-

1 endmill/drill (to open up a hole to get a boring bar into)
1 parting tool (to chop the bit off when done)
1 Boring Bar (to go in the hole opened by the endmill/drill and open it out further)
1 facing tool (to turn the OD down and put a face on the piece, could also be used on the end or face too)

swarf build up on the table looked problematic, maybe a Hoover attachment too.

No coolant and running at high speed so materials may be a touch limited.

Grin

aka47

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login