Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supplier for parts

Posted by Satuna 
Supplier for parts
March 26, 2008 08:31AM
Hi,

We are a consulting company for engineering designs and constructions. We mainly create prototypes (standalone parts and assemlbies too) for our customers. For prototypes we use an Objet machine which works with polyjet technology thus resulting fine surface quality. For short series we use reactive injection molding technology with silicone molds. In this way we can maintain our prices very low and have a little production for parts and assemblies.

We found that our prices are a lot lower compared to western countries on both prototypes and nice quality short series. This is why our largest customers are from western Europe (Germany, France).

One of our designers has recently finished his RepRap machine for which we supplied a few parts (extruder parts). We found this project really interesting and want to help the projet in some way if it is possible. If anyone interested, please contact us: info@r-design.hu

R-design
Re: Supplier for parts
April 11, 2008 01:03PM
Hi Satuna,

Could you give an indication of how much (for example) all the thermoplast parts for a RepRap would cost? I think there is considerable interest in this.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
April 13, 2008 08:00AM
Hi Erik,

It depends on how many kits you need. Unfortunately, one kit costs a lot as all RP machines cost a lot :-)) If a group of people are interested (at least five) we can create silicone molds and inject the parts. Now, I'd better write to Ian Adkins as he is doing the same thing and I really do not want to mess up anything. If our service is necessary besides Ian's I will get back with an exact pricelist too.

Thanks for post anyway.

Adam
April 13, 2008 01:06PM
Ian is offering a full set of cast parts at...

Ken
June 12, 2008 10:18PM
redeyerpm.com can give instant quotes for your stl files.
minimum order is $150.
coworker has used them, very nice parts.
June 17, 2008 10:50PM
Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> redeyerpm.com can give instant quotes for your stl
> files.
> minimum order is $150.
> coworker has used them, very nice parts.

Shouldn't be hard to get to the $150 minimum. Just for fun I submitted some of the RepRap pieces for a RedEyeRPM instant quote. I used the default "ABS - White" material and standard finish.

Z-toothed-pulley-rim.stl 56.00mm x 56.00mm x 3.00mm $25.00 each

Diagonal-tie-bracket.stl 34.90mm x 20.00mm x 34.90mm $63.00 each

Z-motor-bracket.stl 76.06mm x 80.53mm x 33.00mm $127.00 each

Corner-bracket.stl 44.00mm x 44.00mm x 32.00mm $135.00 each

Looks like it might cost thousands of dollars to have all the parts made commercially. It's much cheaper to build a RepStrap!
October 01, 2008 03:52PM
How much would it cost for a set of parts if five people got together and ordered them?
October 05, 2008 07:58PM
Figure about $2,500-3,500, depending on which prototyping service you use, for a set of Darwin parts. They charge about $30/in^3, typically. It's really not economical.
hi: im in the point 0, for construction the reprap.
i mean that all information and the most quantity of parts is vwry wellcome.
plse mail me with the type (kind) of parts you could supply, price and if you would know the shipping costr
for the cyti of Malaga in Spain zip code 29010.
if dont i would try to managge this.
of course i will pay shipping appart of your parts price.
very kind of you
regards from spain
fernando
December 19, 2008 10:00PM
For what people are going to pay for injection molded parts from a big company they could build a simple McWire and print enough parts for 2 Darwins and still have enough $$ left over for a week or 3 worth of beer. I have figured the total cost for my McWire to be in the $500 range and after that initial investment I am predicting a final cost to build a Darwin for around an additional $250-300. That put the cost of a Darwin down to around $750-800. Thats less than 1/20 the cost of a commercial 3d printer. I don't see the lack of build parts as a roadblock but rather as part of the journey. The knowledge you gain by building a simple machine to print the first crude parts to build your actual printer is priceless. The things you will learn along the way will help you with trouble shooting in the future.

Don't get me wrong. I know that not everyone wants to deal with the hassle of building a machine just for the purpose of using it to build another machine. I just feel that large companies stepping in and charging thousands of $$ for parts that can be printed for pennies is right. The whole point of the Reprap project is to create a rapid prototyping machine that is cheap enough for the everyday inventor and enthusiast to build. Sure some can afford to spend thousands on the parts they need but IMHO that undermines the spirit of this project.
Suppliers for parts
May 28, 2009 05:52PM
SCphotog:
> The whole point of the Reprap project is to create a rapid prototyping
> machine that is cheap enough for the everyday inventor and enthusiast
> to build. Sure some can afford to spend thousands on the parts they need
> but IMHO that undermines the spirit of this project.

With respect, the RepRap project is many things to many people.

If commercial molded parts are too exapensive then nobody will use them. If not, then they're another option for whoever wants them. Making them available adds to the diversity and vitality of the community, and doesn't take anything relvant away.

The more rep(st)rappers there are, the better, and more paths means more machines. If nothing else, it's easier to contribute to the project if you already have a working machine.

All the best,

Leo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login