Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[USA] Sanguinololu 1.3a PCB Group Buy $6-8

Posted by codecreations 
[USA] Sanguinololu 1.3a PCB Group Buy $6-8
January 09, 2012 12:28PM
Greetings, everyone. I'm trying to arrange a group buy for professionally manufactured Sanguinololu PCBs in order to lower the build cost for budget-conscious people who like to (or at least don't mind) soldering. I'm not trying to start a business doing this or anything -- I just want to be sure I recover my costs and have a couple extras to offer to schools.

This could be a great opportunity to get a couple for yourself (so you have an extra in case of mistakes), or a small quantity for your club, school, or hackerspace. All of the PCBs will be e-tested, and the plan is to make green with Hasl finish on 1.6mm thick PCB. I will submit the latest (1.3a) version of the gerbers directly from github. They usually take a few weeks to arrive after the order is placed, and I should be able to get them out in the mail within a day or so.

Here's a price structure I think would work to minimize the risk. In the USA, I think I can ship 1-2 in a regular envelope for about $1, 5-10 in a bubble envelope for about $2-3, and 20 would probably require a flat-rate box for about $5. All amounts are USD.

Qty  Price (ea)  Total
 1   $8.00        $8.00
 2   $7.50       $15.00
 5   $7.00       $35.00
10   $6.50       $65.00
20   $6.00      $120.00

The components can be purchased from Mouser for about $30-40, depending on what you already have on hand and what options you want to install. (For example, you may already have an FTDI cable.) The design also, of course, requires Pololu stepper drivers. This group buy is just for the bare PCBs.

Let me know soon if you're interested, and at what quantity. If there's enough interest, I'll start a google group for details and updates.

-Alex

Edit: I added "ea" for "each" to the price column to avoid confusion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 12:36AM by codecreations.
I'd be down for 2. When are you looking to place the order/when would you need payment?
Re: [USA] Sanguinololu 1.3a PCB Group Buy $6-8
January 09, 2012 05:50PM
Excellent! Ideally by the end of this week, and as early as the group reaches $150. I do want to avoid fronting the cash, though, because I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of PCBs and the burden of trying to offload them all to recover my cost. :/ There are a couple others on the #reprap channel that expressed interest, too, so I'll try to update this thread with a total after I talk to them again.

BTW, for a little about me, my website is at [www.thefrankes.com]. I did another group buy for the 3d-printed custom branding irons on that site last year and it was pretty successful. Here's a photo of some of those in case you all are interested: [www.thefrankes.com] -- that one was a little more work that I'd hoped, but I'm pretty proud of how they all turned out!
January 09, 2012 10:06PM
I could go for a couple. I know I said on IRC that I wanted the FTDI already on it but what the hell, I can learn to solder it too.

Roy
January 10, 2012 12:34AM
Two more for rrhb_ -- we're 30% there! Depending upon how many people opt in, I'll try to adjust the cost down even further if I'm able to cover costs with payments received. This would probably come after the fact in the form of a partial refund. I also have a makerspace meeting tomorrow here in town, and I'll ask there if anyone is interested, too.
Confirmed:   $45  (3 ppl)  30% of goal
Tentative:  $110  (3 ppl)
Goal:       $150
DoriftoShoes and Roy, please message me privately with your email address so I can send details and updates.

I'll send a note to the "tentatives" and see if they'll move over into the "confirmed" category!

-Alex
January 10, 2012 09:53AM
I'll take 4
January 10, 2012 10:20AM
50% funded now.

Confirmed:   $75  (4 ppl)  50% of goal
Tentative:   $95  (2 ppl)

mark2 also suggested the SDSL SD reader as a group buy. I'll take a look at it tonight and see how that one might price out...

-Alex

edit: Corrected link to SDSL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 10:32AM by codecreations.
January 10, 2012 06:56PM
I'll take 5. my email is what you might guess at gmail.com.
January 10, 2012 09:19PM
Excellent. Welcome aboard, dchristal. We're at 73% funded now -- almost there! I'll try to get an answer from the tentatives today or tomorrow morning.
Confirmed:  $110  (5 ppl)  73% of goal
January 10, 2012 11:30PM
Sign me up for 2 sang boards.
January 11, 2012 12:21AM
83% funded -- we should be able to order soon! Once we hit the target, I'll send an email out to everyone with instructions, and then I'll place the order.
Confirmed:  $125  (6 ppl)  83% of goal
January 11, 2012 01:03AM
I would like to be in for $20 plus shipping. After the dust settles, if that covers 2 boards, fine, but if it would cover 3, give me 3. I will pm you with private contact info.

I would also be interested in looking at a group buy on components, etc.

Yzr1
January 11, 2012 09:47AM
97% funded -- one more is all we need! I'll try to get in touch with my last "tentative" again, and send an email out soon with details.
Confirmed:  $145  (7 ppl)  97% of goal
Tentative:   $65  (1 ppl)
January 11, 2012 03:33PM
I'll just push it over the top...I need 10 of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
January 11, 2012 04:17PM
Woohoo C. Cecil!! You rock! smileys with beer

Funded *and* sold out!

If everyone pays, then the refund when all the dust settles should be at least a dollar per PCB, which puts Yzr1 on target for three, and the total for the group buy at exactly 30! Perfect! smiling smiley
Confirmed:  $210  (8 ppl)  140% of goal
Tentative:    $0  (0 ppl)
PCBs claimed: 30
Available:     0   *** SOLD OUT *** 

Paid:        $48.50 (incl. shipping)
              23% of total due

Check your email for details and instructions!

Edit: Changed "sold" to "claimed"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 08:29AM by codecreations.
January 11, 2012 06:43PM
codecreations:

I pay paled 16 bucks earlier today for two. My address was included on the payment.

Thanks

Roy
January 11, 2012 06:54PM
Roy -- yes, I've received yours and two others so far. Thanks!

There are five more left to go. Hopefully I'll be able to place the order tonight or tomorrow!

Please check your email (or junk mail folder) if you haven't seen an email from me yet. I've BCC'ed all of you on the next steps.
January 12, 2012 08:37AM
The PCB order went in last night and is currently being processed. We're still waiting on three payments, but we hit the price target with the others, so I went ahead and placed the order.

Confirmed:  $210  (8 ppl)  140% of goal
Tentative:    $0  (0 ppl)
PCBs claimed: 30
Available:     0   *** SOLD OUT *** 

Paid:       $160 (incl. shipping)
              76% of total due
Paymts Rec'd:  5
Paymts Due:    3
January 12, 2012 04:50PM
Crap. Wish i would have seen this just one day earlier. Let me know if the last 3 boards go unclaimed!
January 12, 2012 05:59PM
I'll post here if space opens up. You're first in line, redleader36.
January 16, 2012 12:51AM
Just a quick note for anyone interested. The current parts price at mouser:

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=98af843b68

is $42.94 plus shipping for the non-ATX version.
January 16, 2012 01:24AM
Check over that parts list -- I'm not sure it's completely accurate, and it may include stuff you don't need or already have (e.g. resistors, led, headers, or even the FTDI/USB if you already have an FTDI cable).

As an example, the project lists 7 of the 4-poin headers, while one of them should have been replaced by the double-header for the Z axis. (Incidentally, even 6 of the 4-pin connectors at $1.02 costs more than 10 of them at $0.84 because of the price break at 10. confused smiley )

I ended up getting the cost down quite a bit when I took out the stuff I already had...
February 03, 2012 06:25PM
Thank you all for a successful group buy! smileys with beer

Your PCBs were shipped out this morning via first class US mail, and you should receive them soon.

Here are the final per-PCB prices that everyone ended up getting. This is over $1 off of the originally estimated price per PCB!

Quantity   Final Cost   Final Cost 
Reserved    per PCB      to Ship
--------   ----------   ----------
   2         $6.46        $0.85
   3         $6.46        $1.05
   5         $5.96        $2.12
  10         $5.46        $2.46

The extras are going toward a school build and some freebies: [www.thefrankes.com]
February 11, 2012 11:17AM
A couple of people have noticed this, and one of you suggested that I alert the group, which made a lot of sense. There's nothing wrong -- it's just something to be aware of:

If you look closely at the circuit board where the FTDI chip goes, you'll notice a tiny solder bridge between pins 25 and 26 (below the "L" in "FT232RL"). I noticed it when I first inspected the board, and I looked at the original gerber files to make sure it was part of the design. It is, in fact, part of the original design (see photo below), so there's no need to try to remove it. (To confuse the issue, the instructions even say to look for things like this.)

If you did remove it, that's okay, too -- those pins (which both go to ground) are still connected inside of the outline of the chip.

One other thing to note is that the pin headers along the top of the board sit a little further in than those along the other sides. This is also exactly as it is in the original gerber files, but it means that the PCB might prevent some right-angle headers (like those in the Mouser project kit) from plugging all the way in unless the male headers are soldered a little high. (See the second photo.) This is probably more of an aesthetic issue than a functional one, but if you want to make sure they plug in completely, you can use one of the female connectors to space it properly when you solder it on.

February 29, 2012 02:45AM
Follow up Comment:

Codecreations did an exemplary job in creating, administrating, and completing this group buy.

I most heartily thank him for his effort and feel comfort recommending any future ventures of his to others.

Regards,

Yzr1spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login