Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Super reliable hotends

Posted by aplavins 
Super reliable hotends
May 12, 2012 12:34PM
Hi everyone,

Over the past 2 years of reprap experimentation, I've noticed that the hardest obstacle to overcome has been getting the hotend to extrude properly.

I've designed a hotend that is 100% reliable when the temperatures are correct and the flowrate does not exceed the power of the heater. It is also able to switch between ABS and PLA with no hassles whatsoever.

This means:

No more hobbed bolt grinding up the filament,
No more failed prints from under-extrusion,
No more worries about clogs when switching materials,
No more retracting the filament out of the extruder when you shut it down,
No more leaking threads,
Shorter heat-up times,
More parts produced,
Fewer flaws,
Better print quality.

I'm located in Toronto, Canada and I'm now selling via nichrome.ca

I also support the open source mentality and am willing to share my design with anyone that wants to build this design for themselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 12:36PM by aplavins.
Attachments:
open | download - a_hex_nozzle_complete1.jpg (40.3 KB)
Re: Super reliable hotends
May 13, 2012 10:25PM
The spirit of open source would be to publish them the same way the hot ends you used as inspiration where published. That way we could judge the quality of your design.

BTW at $100 USD yours is by far the most expensive hot end out there (Besides a Mk7 heater), and considering your hiding how yours is made it, sure looks like a PTFE sleeve tapped up the middle with a brass barrel.

Please tell me this is not just a PTFE sleeve.

All of these established and reliable hot ends costs AT LEAST $15 less than yours, some as much as $45 less, and have hundreds of happy users.

Some of the more popular hotends are: Arcol: [shop.arcol.hu] –– Budaschnozzle: [www.lulzbot.com] –– J-Head: [hotends.com] & [www.emakershop.com] –– Makergear: [www.makergear.com] –– Parcan: [www.emakershop.com]

How about a video of it working, maybe one dirty from the all the testing you have done. This pic is one a hot end that’s not even completed yet… you have completed and actually tested it right?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 13, 2012 11:33PM
The reason for the pricing is that I'm producing them one at a time on a manual lathe, I know that the J-head producers have CNC machines making their hotends which reduces the cost considerably. It's probably the same story for the others. If the price of production comes down with added tech, I'll adjust the price accordingly.

Most of my cost is labour not materials.

The barrel is PEEK with a PTFE insert.

I'll work on getting the cad drawings up on the wiki.
May 19, 2012 02:20AM
Can we have an image of a finished hot end?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 23, 2012 06:00PM
At the Hacklab space in Toronto a few months back, I had the pleasure of seeing the hot end in action.

I can vouch that while I was there the hot end worked flawlessly, and based on my conversations with aplavins and seeing several of them apart, I can see no reason to disbelieve his statements about reliability.

The design is not mine to talk about, but I can say that the design is a proven system mixing both PEEK, and PTFE. It seems aplavins just hit on the right setup to ensure the PTFE-Brass joint is not compromised.

I look forward to seeing a wiki page with his hot end.

Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login